icon

Fire! 1991 Ford Explorer keyless

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swhite005 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  

Well, I hooked up the keyless entry to my vehicle...1991 Ford Explorer, using the following...

Fire!  1991 Ford Explorer keyless -- posted image.

When I plugged the vehicle's battery back in, the cab filled with smoke (a lot of it.)  I looked and noticed that the wire I had running from the constant 12 V wire (yellow wire in ignition switch harness) to terminals 87 on both relays had burned through the insulation and the insulation of several other wires.  I think the problem is that terminal 87 is supposed to be powered by a FUSED 12 Volt positive power source.  I don't think the yellow wire in the ignition switch harness is FUSED.  Can someone tell me how to power the relays with a fused source?  Can I tap into the dome light wire or the headlight wire in the fuse box or do I need to install another fuse?  PLEASE HELP!

soundman65 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  
thats not your problem, though you should have a fused wire so that the fuse blows before burning happens.
you've got a short somewhere, power is going straight to ground without anything between it. this is the most likely reason at least. check that pin 30 on both relays is indeed going to motors and not straight to ground.
swhite005 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 3:12 AM / IP Logged  
I checked the lock/unlock wires to ensure they were connected correctly to the relays.  Correct me if I'm wrong, no current = motor / current = switch.  I tried to power the relays using the fuse for the dome lights, and SMOKE AGAIN!!  It burns the wire going from the power source all the way to the relays and everything near it.  How do I ensure that pin 30 is going to motors and not straight to ground as posted by soundman65?  Just confirming from the diagram that pin 87, 87, 85, 86 should all be connected and powered to a fused 12V+?  Do I need to use a certain gauge wire?  What am I doing wrong????????? 
soundman65 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  
is the wire you're using smaller than the power wire you're tapping into? if so, that might be your problem.
swhite005 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 3:38 AM / IP Logged  
The wire I am using is a very small gauge, what size gauge do u recommend using?  Should I use the same gauge for all connections?
soundman65 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 3:40 AM / IP Logged  
if you can figure out what gauge wire the power source you're using is, use that gauge for all the connections.
swhite005 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 4:04 AM / IP Logged  

For the power source, can I tap into the dome light or cigarette lighter wires, or should I use another power source?  If I should use another source, can you please suggest how?  All I am powering is the keyless entry.

soundman65 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 4:10 AM / IP Logged  
uhhh, go for the cigarette lighter, as long as its always on (even when the car is off). it should work fine with that, or if you know which wire for your stereo is constant 12V.
swhite005 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 4:33 AM / IP Logged  
One more thing, why does the gauge of the wiring connected to the power source/relays have to be larger if the wiring from the keyless entry harness from the brain is not very thick?
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  

This is NOT a real hard wire install.............

There is a POSITIVE Constant wire in the same harness you tapped into for Door Locks that go to the Door lock switch.  I think It is either Green or Red. (don't qoute me)..........
Use that for your relays and be sure you have the correct wires for your Door Lock / Unlock.
The guage of your Door Lock wires carry ampherage as opposed to your Keyless Entry that is sending  Mili-Amps (usually negative) to your relays
ALSO:..........Be sure your vehicle requires 5 wire Reversal.

Without OEM Keyless Entry ..... Reversal Rest At Ground Power Door Locks ( as you have described )

With OEM Keyless Entry..... Negative Pulse Door Locks

It Is Common For Lock & Unlock Wire Colors To Reverse

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic