icon

JL8W7 vs. 12W3v2

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
charlie101_1999 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking to upgrade my system and maybe saving some space at the same time. What would be the noticable diffrences in these two subs? It's for an 03 Altima trunk w/MTX 895 amp(320X1 @2ohms). Thanks.
blg748 
Copper - Posts: 194
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
I have the a 12W3v2 and it is pretty damn nice...plays loud and nicely even in a ported box. But i would bet money the 8 W7 sounds nicer. Ive heard a 10W7 and wow was surpised by its performance. I think either would be a good choice...Go to your local dealer and hear for yourself since you will ultimately make the choice. I belive the 8w7 and 12w3v2 are both rated at max 300wrms. But with JL 's underrating they will easily handle ov er 300wrms. I currently pouring 500WRMS into my w3v2.
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
I'm also looking into possibly buying an 8w7. Mostly just for the shock factor. I figure if you build the right box, and give it a good supply of power, you could make it loud as hell. Then when people ask what you've got, you can just tell them you've got a single 8".
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  

W7 or no, replacing a 12 with an 8 is retarded.

Yes, it'd be a wee bit cleaner.  It will also lack any real low-end and be an 8.  Come on.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
Sedate, how does your W6 sound in comparison to a W7
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
The only W7 I've ever heard was in a competition ready SUV... the thing had like a $5000 signal processor, Zapco amps, MBQuart QSD highs, and like 5 cases of Dynamat Extreme.
I mean, it wasn't really played loud but the system sounded, obviously, really good. The bass was.. well.. incredible. Deep, clean... I mean. Here's the thing, with Zapco amps, and 5 cases of Dynamat, and in the fact that the sub was playing directly into the listening environment pretty much lead me to say that I can't provide a comparison. The system above isn't really indicitive of a 'real' system.
Overall, I've had the W6 for almost a year and the jury is still out... its very clean and articulate.. but.. I've had pretty poor luck building boxes for it... I've gone through at least a half-dozen and I've really never been very satisfied.. always clean.. just not all that loud. It doesn't really keep up with my highs the way I'd like.
I'd trade it for a pair of Infinity Perfect 12's in a half-a-second.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
charlie101_1999 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
I had the W3v2 in a ported box and I was happy with it but like I said I'd like to change up my system a bit and I'm considering the 8W7 based on my current amp and like boardinbum said, the shock factor.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
Also consider impedience. The 8" W7 is only available in a single 3 Ohm voice coil. If your amp is a non 2 ohm stable A/B amp it will shut down at this rating. On the other hand if you have a non JL slash,  D class amp you will lose about 25% of the amps power. JL rated these at 3 Ohms to encourage use of their "Slash" series amps where impedience does no matter.
charlie101_1999 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
Well, there goes that idea. Thanks for the info tcss, I didn't even realize that. Any one got any ideas for a sub now? Still looking for maybe and 8" around the same power requirements at 2ohms.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
I've done some excellant sounding systems with multiple 8" JL W3V2 drivers and since they are rated at dual 2 , 4 and 6 ohm coils you should get your 2 ohm load no sweat. Also you can build them down to 3 cu ft, much smaller than 8" W7. Another alternative 10" W6V2. We are just ready to fire up our new store demo car ( 2005 Acura RSX ) it has two of these in a fiberglass 1.3 cu ft encloser and I expect it to be very impressive.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic