icon

91 Explorer Head Unit Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
I would relocate the grounds to the frame. Find a spot you can drill and stick a bolt there for just the amp ground, seat bolts always seem to have problems. I tried using a seat bolt first and changing it to the above made a world of difference.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
compwc18 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
my ground was right direct to the bottom of the car, bare metal... its not on a bolt... i bolted it to the ground. and what kind of meter do i get? would a test light work? lmk asap... also... like i said the amp comes on for like 2 second when u turn the key over, then it shuts off.... please help me some more on this I will check those things out to.
compwc18 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for all the quick replies, I really need to get all of this taken care of, all help is great...
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
What gauge is your remote wire? It's possible there is not enough signal getting there due to having too small of a wire, which would shut the amp down after a couple seconds I believe.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

This sounds more and more like a grounding issue. You bolted the ground just to the sheet metal? If so you need a better ground. Did you experiment like I suggested, just touch the ground to something else and see what happens?

A simple multi meter from radio shack, you don't need anything fancy, a simple pocket sized one that does ohms and voltage. But FIRST deal with the ground, right now my money is on a grounding issue. 

compwc18 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
i cant experiment too much with the ground cuz its only about 15 inches long dont have many places i can run it, unless you have an idea where i can run it... also i beleve my remote wire is 12G or 10G... one of the two... lmk thanks
compwc18 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
maybe i should let u know that the amp is located behind the drivers seat
compwc18 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
something i dont know if I have mentioned yet is... the amp was grounded to the spot it was at before. just all of a sudden it had stopped working. it was grounded there and worked fine. I can still double check it to see if its good though... I will double check it, but please post up some more ideas.. Thanks
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
I had the same problem on my sisters explorer. there is a blue mute wire in the trucks factory radio wires. use the head units remote turn on wire to hook up to the blue mute wire.
Big Dave
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

Well there is always a chance that the amp is bad.

I might ask again if you removed the rcas and the speaker wires completely and tried that?

Try the seat bolt, you may have to remove the two front or rear bolts in order to do this. 

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic