icon

Speaker, amp, rca problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdog0411 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I keep struggling with my system. I have my four kappa's hooked up to my Alpine MRV-F340 amp, and I have a problem with my left front speaker. I've posted before about the crazy input settings this amp has (I hate it), but I think I have it setup correctly. Besides, it is wired for all four channels and should be outputing to all four. I am not sure about what the problem is exactly, but I have very little sound coming from the front left speaker, while the other three seem to be working fine when I fade to them. Also, I now have a whining noise that I assume is engine noise coming through that speaker. I don't think it is present in the other speakers. I initially thought that the rca connection to the amp was loose, since when I jiggled it I heard a hiss coming in and out of the speaker (although still not very loud). I tightened it up and it seems to be as good as it's going to get.

I checked the wiring connection behind the dash (where I made my connections, not through the doors) and they seem tight. I don't think it's the speaker wire. I have the power cable going down the left side of the vehicle, and the four speaker wires, and three rca cables (sub, front and rear channels) going down the right to avoid noise. I am suspecting that I either have a bad channel on the amp...or the rca cable I am using for that channel is bad. Are there easy ways to check these with a multimeter? Whenever I feel like it, I am going to switch out the rca's on the back of the headunit to see what happens with that, but it is frustrating. Any ideas?

2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps
Infinity Kappa Perfect 12
91rsliberty 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

Firstly swap on the amp the Front right and left hand RCA plugs so now the left signal is going to the right handside speaker, and the right hand side signal going to the front left speaker

if the problem is still the same ( still on the left hand side )you might find you have a speaker problem or a amp output problem,

if the problem is now onthe right hand side you havea  output problem from the deck or faulty rca's but usually faulty rcas just dont work , try runnning new ones over hte seats to the amp just as a temp measure to check it ???

good luck

Speaker, amp, rca problem -- posted image.

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
jdog0411 wrote:

I am not sure about what the problem is exactly, but I have very little sound coming from the front left speaker, while the other three seem to be working fine when I fade to them.

You've prolly checked this, but if the sound is only attentuated.. have you check the speaker itself?  It might be as easy as having the thing wired out of polarity.

Once I spent 2 weeks trying to solve a simaler problem with my JL Audio 6450.... ya know what I did?  I was so sleepy when I hooked up the deck I wired the remote turn on to the left front + speaker lead!  But the wire colors matched so when I pulled the deck out to check it I didn't even notice the screw up..

How's that ported box for the Perfect coming?

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
jdog0411 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2005 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

sedate,

I will check the wiring as soon as I get a chance. As far as the ported box is concerned, I have it designed (using a slotted port) and I am still working on it. It has been really, really hot around here lately, and I don't really want to get out there and work on it too much at the moment. I should have it completed fairly soon, I'm looking forward to hearing the difference.

2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps
jdog0411 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2005 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
I switched the RCA's and the channels on the amps and it looks like it is a bad RCA cable. I have a monster cable and a tsunami cable and the tsunami is bad. I put the good cable on the front channels and they now sound fine. I also have no noise in any of the channels, so it is actually ok for the moment. I'm glad it isn't the amp or the head unit. I'll get a new rca cable and run it when I get the chance.
2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic