icon

LED Tails cause Alarm Problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheRapture 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
After installing a few diffren Brands of 1157 LED clusters into my tail lights... i notice that they ALL do not light correctly... like there not getting enough power,... but when i measure they are around 13V,
Also, my alarm goes crazy when i install these... when the alarm turns ON, after a few seconds it goes into panic mode, like someones trying to break-in.
Do I need a power resistor to pull some more current into the circuit or what could be the problem?
Thanks all!
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
haven't deat with them myself but i was under the impression that you had to install resistors with them
because they don't eat as much current as a bulb and therefor indicators will flash faster. haven't seen them m hear yet for brakes or tail lights only indicators. for when people have clear lenses they don't want the big orange bulb showing behind
TheRapture 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
i'm actually reffering to Automotive 12V Led clusters with a 1157 socket, they run about 90mA.
These are the one's i've had problems with.
What i'm acutlaly going to do NOW is retrofit Semi LED Tail lights (4" round) that run about 325mA, and because they are "automotive" they run from 9V to 16V (so they dont overload and blow out)
I heard you need a load resistor when you use the regular 1157 clusters... but with these large clusters, will i still need a load resistor?
What is the operating current of a regular 1157 Incondecent bulb?   i heard about 1.2A or something like that.
TheRapture 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
bobk wrote:
I think you need to read about resistors. Can be found on the left side of this forum. You have about 400 to 700 amps that you can use so the power is there. A resistor will drop voltage(read ohms law also). A regular 1157 bulb draws about 1 to 2 amps when 12 volts is present. Your retrofit tail lights install guide should tell you if you need resistors and if they do then they operate at a lower voltage.
there is no install guide... this is a one of a kind. these clusters i'm using are actually suppose to be in Semi's
TheRapture 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
lol you really need to work hard at not putting the 1157 in correctly, i tried to put it in "backwards" to see if that was the problem... no way i could get it in the socket wrong.
TheRapture 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
lol, thats classic... dealers moto: if it dont fit... smash it till it does

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic