Head Unit:
Alpine 9831 4-Volt Sub/Front/Rear preouts
FRONT STAGE
Fronts : Infinity Kappa Perfects 6.1
Amp ^ : Phoenix Gold Titanium ZX400ti 100WRMS*2 @ 4 ohms stereo to fronts
Sub Setup
Jl AUduo 12W3v2 D2 in ported 1.5-1.75 ft^3 boxed tuned to abotu 33HZ
Sub AMp: Phoenix GOld Tantrum T500.2 runnign @ 500wrms @ 4 ohms bridged
Currently many would say i have a OK/DECNENT system. But always room for upgrades. Im satisfied with the components up front and HEad Unit.
My probem the sub pounds i mean pounds hard but its not too clean. Today i had time and went to a dealer in town. he let me drop in a 8W7 a 10W6V2 and a 10W7 all in the RED / grey prowedghe or W/E HO boxes.
I was REALLLLLLY impressed with the SQ from teh 10W7. REally amazing trunk was flexing never does this with the other sub. Anyways They werent broken in they were brand new so he told me if i bought this and kept my current 500.2 it would be fine as long as i did some deadening...
Anyyways my prblem is im only willing to spend 1200CDN for a new SUB/and SUB AMP. I have always wanted to have nicer bass but not until recently have i been able to.
I have always wanted a brahma since i started my system but $$ was hard to come by. NOw the dealer wnats 1150 TAX INCL 1 year warranty for the JL 10W7 with that box. Now this doesnt even include a new amp...I really liked how it sounded only off my T500.2. But i don't think i should buy this as its too much $$$..
Now checkign some sites someoen is selling a brahma 12 MK11 for 350 rarely used thats 350 CDN so 400Shipped he is in same province so no duty tax. However i may be able to get a used 10w7 in a box same box i think for cheaper and im meeting the guy tomorrow.
Now the brahma i would not be able to use my 500.2 but its cheaper. Woudl you guys reccomend buyign a brahma and having a box built for it as i want need pounding bass and so udn good too. can the mk11 pound and stay as clean as the 10W7 ? WOuld you go for the brhama or the W7 ?
Also is their any other brands i should consider?
Main goal : Louder and CLEANER bass.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

Why do you say you wouldn't be able to use the 500.2 with the Brahma?  It should work just fine with that amp. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

blg748 
Copper - Posts: 194
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
im jusy saying th 500.2 isn't a good amp to see the real performance for the 10W7 and most people have reccomend even for a ported 12 brahma MK11 or w/e a good 800wrms.......
Steven Kephart: What woudl be the better choice the brhama ported 12 in the built to the specs or the 10W7 in its power wedge HO Wedge box. I have NEVER ever heard a brahma so i really need the best advice as the brham used even with a custom box is max 500cdn this 10w7 gonna run me 1150CDN which i dont' really wanan spend rather get something cheaper and get a new amp aswell.
Would the Brhama ported in a box built to spec with 500WRMS max @ 4 ohms be compareable be just as good or better than the 10W7. I will defintely upgrade to a PG XENON ONYX 600.1 actual is 800WRMS @ 4 ohms or a PG XENON 1200.1 1300wrmns @ 4ohms.
I just cant decide i dont know if the brahma with 500wrms is gonna sound as good as the 10W7.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  

What vehicle is this in?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

blg748 wrote:
im jusy saying th 500.2 isn't a good amp to see the real performance for the 10W7 and most people have reccomend even for a ported 12 brahma MK11 or w/e a good 800wrms.......
Steven Kephart: What woudl be the better choice the brhama ported 12 in the built to the specs or the 10W7 in its power wedge HO Wedge box. I have NEVER ever heard a brahma so i really need the best advice as the brham used even with a custom box is max 500cdn this 10w7 gonna run me 1150CDN which i dont' really wanan spend rather get something cheaper and get a new amp aswell.
Would the Brhama ported in a box built to spec with 500WRMS max @ 4 ohms be compareable be just as good or better than the 10W7. I will defintely upgrade to a PG XENON ONYX 600.1 actual is 800WRMS @ 4 ohms or a PG XENON 1200.1 1300wrmns @ 4ohms.
I just cant decide i dont know if the brahma with 500wrms is gonna sound as good as the 10W7.

Well keep in mind that I work for Adire, so my opinion is somewhat biased. 

The difference between your 500 watt amp and the 800 watt amp will pretty much be inaudible.  You will probably be surprised at how little difference in output even teh 1200 watt amp will be compared to your current amp. 

SQ wise the W7 and Brahma should be about the same.  They both use custom motors designed to reduce distortion compared to other standard designs.  The Brahma being a 12 will definitely have the advantage in displacement, so it should be able to get louder than the W7.  Enclosure will definitely effect that as well.  However if you purchase from the shop, you will be getting a warranty with the W7. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with Steven here in the facts that just throwing more power at it is not going to produce any noticeable (to your ears) difference in output levels. On a meter, sure it will but for everyday use, no it will not. The magic to good clean output is simple. It is all about the box. Screw up on the box and the output will not be what you want or expect. Loud clean bass tells me that a single high output driver in a purpose designed box is in order or even better is a pair of drivers in a purpose designed enclosure. Consider that buying a used sub is like borrowing your friends underwear on Sunday morning. A sub is the single most abused item in a stereo system. I would not touch a used sub at all as chances are, you are inheriting someone else's dirty underwear. Buy new and buy from an authorized dealer.

The amp you have is rated at 500 x 1 @ 4 ohms with 14.4 volts. It is a good amp, not a power house for sure but if you are bent on getting a new amp, do this in stages. Buy the right sub or subs, then have the right box built for them, then buy the amp (if you need it).

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
blg748 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
Well. The current sub i have was bought in october 04 and the owner had a jl 500/1. It pounded then and still is now. Im not too worried about buyign used. I just by chance looked at the canadiancaraudio website someone is locally selling the sAME 10W7 i saw today same box and he bought it from the same store 4 months ago which would mean about 8 moonths warranty left.
BUt how much is a new brahma anyways. I know their are no local dealers in my town.
Anyways I guess you are right about my amp as its pretty decent as it stands. Isnt double power only 3Db difference anyways.
I know the person who i would consider buying the brahma from he was respected and known on the pg forums ive also purchased items from him before.
Its just the 1150CDN from the dealer is friggin a month of workign at my job...shhhty Tim hortons. I dont know if i can really afford this. The thign is the JL dealer let me pop in the 10W7 in my car with the amp and i was stupidified lol. Ive never seen my trunk flex....some dude's car alarm 2 spaces away went off.....Im now convinced my w3v2 is a pos now lol and their is much better out their and i want something better.
I guess in the end i will most liekly buy somethign from the dealer but i really gotta get another job to be able to afford.
The car, everything is in, is a 99 honda civic lx 4dr sedan its my mom's. The plan was if i got into uni locally i getto I got accepted locally and my mom said just buy ur own car and well pay for it. BONUS for me! This means everythign will go into the car i buy which im pretty sure is going to be a honda accord/civic 2 or 4dr.
Any more advice you guys got I dont'r really wanna buy used this time but then again my budget was 1200CDN for new sub and amp.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
Pick up one of the new brahma's, call up adire tech, tell them how much power you got and they will help you design a box to get the most out of that sub, they are very very helpful.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  

blg748 wrote:
Ok as it stands this is what i have bellow
Head Unit:
Alpine 9831 4-Volt Sub/Front/Rear preouts
FRONT STAGE
Fronts : Infinity Kappa Perfects 6.1
Amp ^ : Phoenix Gold Titanium ZX400ti 100WRMS*2 @ 4 ohms stereo to fronts
Sub Setup
Jl AUduo 12W3v2 D2 in ported 1.5-1.75 ft^3 boxed tuned to abotu 33HZ
Sub AMp: Phoenix GOld Tantrum T500.2 runnign @ 500wrms @ 4 ohms bridged
Currently many would say i have a OK/DECNENT system. But always room for upgrades. Im satisfied with the components up front and HEad Unit.
My probem the sub pounds i mean pounds hard but its not too clean. Today i had time and went to a dealer in town. he let me drop in a 8W7 a 10W6V2 and a 10W7 all in the RED / grey prowedghe or W/E HO boxes.
I was REALLLLLLY impressed with the SQ from teh 10W7. REally amazing trunk was flexing never does this with the other sub. Anyways They werent broken in they were brand new so he told me if i bought this and kept my current 500.2 it would be fine as long as i did some deadening...
Anyyways my prblem is im only willing to spend 1200CDN for a new SUB/and SUB AMP. I have always wanted to have nicer bass but not until recently have i been able to.
I have always wanted a brahma since i started my system but $$ was hard to come by. NOw the dealer wnats 1150 TAX INCL 1 year warranty for the JL 10W7 with that box. Now this doesnt even include a new amp...I really liked how it sounded only off my T500.2. But i don't think i should buy this as its too much $$$..
Now checkign some sites someoen is selling a brahma 12 MK11 for 350 rarely used thats 350 CDN so 400Shipped he is in same province so no duty tax. However i may be able to get a used 10w7 in a box same box i think for cheaper and im meeting the guy tomorrow.
Now the brahma i would not be able to use my 500.2 but its cheaper. Woudl you guys reccomend buyign a brahma and having a box built for it as i want need pounding bass and so udn good too. can the mk11 pound and stay as clean as the 10W7 ? WOuld you go for the brhama or the W7 ?
Also is their any other brands i should consider?
Main goal : Louder and CLEANER bass.

Whatever happened with this? You said you could possibly get a 10W7 CHEAPER than the Brahma, but you completely ignore this in the rest of your posts, saying you will have to spend $1150 CDN for a NEW 10W7...so what's the deal? Can you or can't you get a 10W7 for cheaper than the Brahma or cheaper than the $1150 CDN? I think that alone would help you decide which way to go (and help us to help you decide once we have a clearer picture of the situation)...

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
blg748 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
weLL I didn't want to elaborate on the 10W7. Someone, locally in my town is selling a USED 10W7, exactly the one i demoed yesterday, for about 600 - 700 bux i forget the price. THe thing is it is USED. This time aroudn tho i want to buy a BRAND NEW sub with a warranty atleast and in that case the brand new 10W7 will run me 1150CDN.
The other thign i saw was that someone again in my province is selling a slighyl used brahma kk11 for 350CDN + shipping. But its used so i guess i should stay away.
Im going to demo the USED 10W7 today. The problem is i have never ever heard/seen brahma and don't know how much in the end it would cost for a brand new one with a custom box would run me. Anyways i will post back today after demoing the used 10W7.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic