icon

Amp for Two Eclipse SW9122

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kd7nfr 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, I'm new to the forum. Normally over on eCoustics. I just have a few questions to ask you guys. I just bought two Eclipse SW9122 (Ti). I'm looking at two vented boxes, tuned to 32Hz, around 2 cubic feet. And I'm looking at a Fosgate T20001bd or T30001bd amp, and wire the subs at 1ohm. What do you guys think? Any input is much appreciated!
Lizardking 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
I would use the Eclipse DA7232 two channels class D sub amp.. This amp is killer and not to mention the SQ quality is awesome.
Eclipse "Approaching Perfection"
kd7nfr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
2000 watt peak at 2ohm? What does it do at 1ohm RMS?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
Nothing. Not one ohm stable, BUT, the sound quality of this amp will beat the Fosgate to the GROUND... ESPECIALLY if you are talking about running the Fosgate at a 1 ohm load... The Eclipse has WAY better damping, more current... I think it's a few dollars less, also...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
Also, let's do the math, shall we?
With the RF T30001bd amp, 2 woofers with 3000 watts driving them is 1500 watts per woofer, right?
With the RF T20001bd amp, 2 woofers with 2000 watts driving them is 1000 watts per woofer, right?
The Eclipse DA7232 is 2000 watts per channel at 2 ohms, which you woofers will be, when you parallel the voice coils. This already, is an additional 500 watts per driver, or a total of 1000 watts. While a 33% increase in total power may not be MUCH gain, it will be at least 1dB, right? More output, better specs? Less money? I know wher I'm spending my hard earned dollars...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kd7nfr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
OHHHH!!!! 2,000 watts PER CHANNEL! OMG! Yes, that is definatly worth it. So that is max? What is RMS for them? Also, what is the best place to buy one? I'm a cheapo...
haemphyst 
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
Dial 1-800-55-Eclipse, and enter your ZIP code, it'll connect you RIGHT to your nearest Eclipse dealer.
yeah, 2KW per channel. Really pretty close to 1500 at 2 ohms, but the benefits are still there. I have this same amp running ONE SW9122 in the trunk of my '01 Civic, and it's AMAZING! The woofer is rated 1500 watts, but according to the techs at the Eclipse booth at the CES, (two years running) they run 1500 watts PER VOICE COIL into that woofer, for extended periods of time! I believe them, too. Mine does not even complain with running over 2KW into it (the amp runs in stereo, rated 1000wpc, but they tell me closer to 1350wpc - real world)
Good Stuff, Man!
kd7nfr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
So that amp will power two 9122's with enough power?
kd7nfr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
Or would two be better? Also, what's the fuse size? I can't find it anywhere.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  

200 amps, 100 per channel. The amp is conservatively rated at 850 w x 2 rms into 2 ohms @ 13.8 volts. To be better, you need a monster mono sub amp that is stable to 1 ohm mono that has a minimum of 2500w rms to hear a difference in output levels. I just used this amp last week on the exact same subs and daaaamn was it fine.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic