icon

Anyone Used Kevlar or Carbon Fiber?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trojan 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
Was reading about the polyester vs epoxy resin and how epoxy is used for kevlar and/or carbon fiber. Has anyone used this material for enclosures? and/or done their own interior dash panels with this. And if no, why is it not used more in car audio? both are very strong materials seems like they would be good for subwoofer boxes especially. Yes I know these are more expensive, any other reasons?
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2005 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
Both are rather hard to work with. WAY more expensive. And there is absolutly no need for kevlar in car audio. Carbon fiber is only used for looks, strength like that is not needed unless you plan on popping caps to boost your db. I have done a few small projects with carbonfiber. All in all it's easier to make it from fiberglass and have it hydrocoated to look like carbonfiber.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
dowmace 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2005 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
I've done some Carbon Fiber work, mostly with carbon/kevlar hybrid materials. The reason it's not used much in car audio is as you said price, since a gallon of epoxy resin is going to be about 70 bucks on average, and a yard of carbon weave is 100'ish. It's got lots of good things to it strength aesthetics things like that but it's just not worth the money when fiberglass is cheaper.
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2005 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
I have used lots of carbon and also posted the "polyester vs. epoxy", this is one reason I have gallons of it sitting around. A gallon of epoxy with hardner runs about $40.00, and a yard of fabric (depending on weave) runs me $32.50 for a 50" by 1 yard piece. you could use something like a 2x2 twill weave that is very drapable to cover your dash, but you still won't get very good results without vacuume bagging and a hear source to put it in.
trojan 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
cool guyz thx for responding. i was just thinking maybe subwoofer boxes might be good with something like that for some extreme strength and ridgedness.
Dyson 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 3:19 AM / IP Logged  
If you actually want to see the carbon fibre then epoxy would be the wrong choice all together, as its brown! You need to use clear casting resin for the front of the mold, then carbon fibre then epoxy.
abovestock 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 2:58 AM / IP Logged  
Hua??? you use casting resin in a rubber mold to make a finished piece. All epoxy resin is clear but sometimes has a very slight yellowish tint. Polyester resin is brown, you NEVER use polyester resin with carbonfiber it is way to brittle.
Dyson 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 3:19 AM / IP Logged  
we dont use rubber molds. With carbon fibre we have always used casting resin for the top coat, same as you would use a gel coat for the top coat on glass piece.
topspoiler 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 3:37 AM / IP Logged  

Anyone knows how to make a mold out of carbon fiber?

I made a mold out of carbon fiber and it came out find but has little bubble in them. Can anyone tell me how can I make a mold of something with carbon fiber without having little bubbles in them?

abovestock 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2005 at 2:32 AM / IP Logged  
Vacuume bagging is the only way I know of to get all the air out. The cheapest system I know of runs about $300.00.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic