the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Wiring LEDs for motorcycle

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mr_Fusion 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2002 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

I am designing a LED tailight for my motorcycle...I am using the ultra bright red LEDs that I think are 2.0-2.2v a piece and (I think) 200mah a piece.  How would I drop the 12-14.4v from the motorcycle down to a usuable level for the LEDs?  I was thinking about running 7 together in a line so that line would accept up to 15.4v (2.2v * 7) but if one of the LEDs burn out then that whole line will burn out.  What formula can I use to figure out what size resistor to use?  I am wiring about 70 LEDs total.

Also, after the taillight I will move on to the blinkers.  How would I substitute a load on the blinker system so I don't change the rate of the flashes (since the LEDs will draw much less current that standard bulbs)?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

skerr 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2002 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
Look on the back of the package. There is a little list of numbers called the "Electro-optical Characteristics". The two numbers we're interested is is the "Forward Voltage" (This is the amount of voltage the LED works best at), and the operating current (the amount of current the LED will draw).

There are two ways you can wire your LED's up.

First, you can divide the supply voltage (12 volts) by the LED's operating voltage. The number you have is the number of LED's you can wire in series and connect to 12 volts.

The better method is to calculate the resistor you will need. To do this, you first subtract the LED's forward voltage from 12 volts. Then, you take the result, and divide that by the LED's operating current. The number you have left is the number of ohms of resistance you will need in order to safely connect your LED. If you get a number for which you don't have a resistor, you can use slightly higher resistor. If you don't even have one close, you can use resistors in combination to get the proper value.

When wiring your LED, it is important to observe polarity. Often, the positive and negative legs are different length. The package will show you the polarity. Wire your resistor in series with the LED, on the positive leg.

Shawn
Mr_Fusion 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2002 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
How many LEDs can I run off of that one resistor?  All 70 that I am wiring or can it only handle so much? The LEDs are 1.7-2.2v...and 20ma.  When you say I must divide by the current...do I divide by 20 or do I convert 20ma to .02a?
Oc768 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2002 at 4:28 AM / IP Logged  

No offense, but have you checked out www.devilbikes.com or www.libertek.com yet? 

I only ask cause - I know they may be a bit more expensive, but for the time it would take me to drill 70+ holes, make sure they are insanely straight etc. and then trying to find a replacement lens if i ever wanted to sell it without the funky lights...?  I dunno, just me. 

A cheaper alternative would be to try www.ronayers.com (Ron Ayers Motorsports) or some other cycle salvage joints and see if they have anything from a 2002 cbr954, 2002 R1/R6, etc. as these also come w/LED lighting, and are easily adaptable to integrate turn sigs as well. 

Also, I know it looks trick - but at a very minimum make sure your turnsigs are a different color from your brake light.  When they get that close together - people +10ft. away have a hard time seeing if its a directional or just lighting gone haywire.  At least thats what the driver told a friend of mine (after they took him out as he was stopped making a turn).

Just my $.02 - hope it helps :)

Mr_Fusion 
Posted: November 27, 2002 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  

I've seen products that can be purchased...but...anyone can do that.  Also, I am using PC board so I have no holes to drill and I have a perfect grid pattern to follow.  I really like Libertek's Diamond Lights but there is no way I am paying them that much and I am fitting this into a stock style, clear lens.  Besides, there is nothing better than custom work!

Oc768 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2002 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

"Besides, there is nothing better than custom work!"

Wiring LEDs for motorcycle -- posted image. True that...I actually LED'd out the sigs on my 954, but didnt integrate them to the taillight for the whole safety thing (yah im a dork).  End result was lots of frustration and spending more time chopping boards and resealing then riding, so I went AFM.

Good luck with it! post up some pics when you're done...im curious to see how it ends up. 

No doubt on the Liberteks either - they are nice, but dang...$ome buck$ for tho$e one$. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic