icon

Amp going into Protection Mode

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
p1209 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2005 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  

I'm using an Autotek XS1500 to power two 12" eclipse aluminum subs.  Everything was running fine for months however one day I shut my truck off and when I turned it back on the Amp turned on in protection mode (power light turned from green to red).  I pulled to amp out and let it sit while I was on vacation and when I came back I put it back in.  It fired up normally and played fine for about a day, then as I was driving I heard a surge/thump in the bass and the amp went into protection mode again???  I shut my head unit off and turned it back on and the amp plays normally for a split second then goes into protection mode again!

The amp is stable to 1 Ohm and I have it wired at 2 Ohms giving bout 4-450 per sub.  I've disconnected the subs and the amp still turns on it protection mode???? 

ANY IDEAS!?!?!?

Thanks

kd7nfr 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2005 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
If the amp isn't hot to the touch when it does that, then you blew it. Last resort: pull the thing apart and check for black spots or pools of solder that have melted and started to run. If you had it mounted vertically, there's a good chance that's what happened. I see that a lot with lower end amps. I don't know how good Autotek's are though... Good luck!
southside 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2005 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
or one of your subs r blown as well
southsider
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2005 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
thats crazy  i would check every connection  on both ends  and if that dosnt work take the amp to a repair shop maybe theres an easy fix also check your alternater with a  VOM to make sure your voltage regulater  is working right  thats all i got
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Scuba_04 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
Check the Ohm load on your subs, if normal send the amp off to be repaired.
Steve
Music Mart
Installer
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 4:00 AM / IP Logged  
more than likly the amp is bads on the inside. Do you have a buddy with a system you can test the amp with? If it does the same thing then its the amp.
Big Dave
Bumpin' Yota 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  
p1209 wrote:

I'm using an Autotek XS1500 to power two 12" eclipse aluminum subs.  Everything was running fine for months however one day I shut my truck off and when I turned it back on the Amp turned on in protection mode (power light turned from green to red).  I pulled to amp out and let it sit while I was on vacation and when I came back I put it back in.  It fired up normally and played fine for about a day, then as I was driving I heard a surge/thump in the bass and the amp went into protection mode again???  I shut my head unit off and turned it back on and the amp plays normally for a split second then goes into protection mode again!

The amp is stable to 1 Ohm and I have it wired at 2 Ohms giving bout 4-450 per sub.  I've disconnected the subs and the amp still turns on it protection mode???? 

ANY IDEAS!?!?!?

Thanks

First check the amps ground.  The pain should be sanded away from underneath of the connection.  Check that there are no errant wires jumping one terminal to the next....(on both B+, GND, and your speaker outs.)  Check all connections to the front battery as well as at the amp.  If everything seems ok, pull the subs and check the wiring - I'm betting that the amp is going into protect due to too low of a load - which will happen should the speaker leads short...

2x dB Drag World Finalist
2003 Nopi Nat. Street B champ
2004 SBN Street C champ
2004 SBN Advncd NW Champ
2004 Former WR Holder in NW
In loving memory of Jamie Riggs 5/15/85 - 10/8/04
p1209 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2005 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  

PROBLEM FIXED!  Thanks for all your suggestions!  I pulled the amp out and put in an old PPI A300 I had laying around (which i knew was healthy) and it too fired up into protection mode, so I knew there was a problem with my wiring (which has been working fine for over a year so I knew something had changed).  I check my ground....tight and clean!  I check my 0 gauge starting at the battery and work my back and come to find out my STINGER CIRCUIT BREAKER under the hood cracked down the middle.  Funny thing is that it didn't trip it was still sending enough juice to fire up the amp but not enough to  fully power it??????  I swapped out the breaker and everything's fine!

Again thanks for your comments!

kd7nfr 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2005 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
Bump.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic