the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2 12 Xplod's vs. 2 15 BMF's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2005 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
Blowntweeters wrote:
thats cool instead of puting an extra battery in u should just replace your main battery with one of the kinetikbatterys the hc1800 will do the trick check out www.kinetikaudio.com  there expensive but worth ever penny with a stock alternater you can run 2 kx 1200.1s with no problems
PLEASE stop telling people they WILL NOT need an upgraded alternator. You CANNOT, in any way, shape, or form, run a 2400 watt system from a stock alternator forever. It might work for a while, but the fact is, that without sufficient charging capacity, the battery will simply die sooner than it should, potentially taking the alternator, and OTHER electrical components (read: ECU) with it. It HAS happened. End of story. The alternator IS where the power comes from, there is no such thing as a magic battery. Is it possible (and sounds probable) that you have had good luck with this battery, and I have had good luck with other batteries as well, but the fact remains, that eveybody here that knows what we are talking about, consistently recommend an alternator as a FIRST step in an electrical system upgrade, and THEN the battery and wiring. We also do not ever recommend a battery or cap as a fix for ANY electrical system issue... It is NOT the fix.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Samt18 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2005 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
ok...so you would suggest upgrading the alternator before doing anything else?
Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2005 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
alright i've got another question.  should i go with a ported or bandpass box?  I know a bandpass should be louder in an SUV (that's what a friend said) but I also want the bass to sound decent.  If you can, just tell me what you would recommend and why.
Deusqe 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
Avoid the bandpass...
I got a bandpass...and even though it's a very cheap one...all i hear is that all bandpass boxes have one similar characteristic and i can vouch for this - they hit a very small frequency range with unbelievable loudness but the other notes they're not even near that. So in other words if the bass notes in the song you're listening to do not fall under that frequency range, the sound quality will not be very good and the bass wont be very loud.
And they're are very hard to make properly, since they have very little room for error.
Stay away from it.
don't rush into things...you'll get ripped off
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  

Either go ported or sealed.  But since no one chimed in about your factory dvd system, yes you can add an aftermarket head unit and keep the screen in the rear working, i have done it.  You have a few options, 1. Replace your head unit with a nice unit with a AUX input and get a cheap dvd player to link your audio to your headunit and video to the screen. 2. Get a DVD head unit and just send the video to your factory screen.  You can also put some head phones in their so you can listen to your tunes on the head unit and passengers can watch and listen to their movie at the same time.  Many options.  #1 is the most economical costing approx $500 or less, or more depending on the quality of the head unit, but for this task i definately reccomend one of the Eclipse head units with the circle surround feature $400 cd8445, or $500 cd8455 with the digital input from the dvd player.

Personally i would do the headunit upgrade before changeing up the subs and amps, it will make your current system ( sony, i know ugg) sound much much better.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
ok.  i thought that there had to be a way i could replace the head unit and still be able to use my DVD system, but i just didn't know what it was.  I will look into the Eclipse head units...i'm somewhat partial to Alpine though, so is there anything Alpine makes that would work?
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
your cost is gonna go over what you set out to spend in the first place the alternater is the way to go as far as the electrical power i was told that what i said could /was done with one of these batterys i never said you would'nt  need an alternater upgrade and im not telling people that this battery will fix everything  as far as hte head unit go to alpine's web site and check the options on there head units  as far as the box for your subs go vented for SPL go sealed  for SQ 
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
bumpingjeep 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
not trying to be rude...but i would reccommend a little restraint here...you are looking at putting quit a bit of lower end frequencies to a factory system that doesn't exactly have a lot of high end frequencies...just be careful and make sure that upon having all of this stuff installed that you can return it all if you arent happy...you might find that there wil be too much bass and not enough of everything else...i agree with whoever said not to replace your factory speakers also...unless they are blown...replacing them will gain you no spl in most cases in which the factory cd player is being used...and i reccommend a sealed box...me personally...i am a vented enclosure type guy...but in your case with a factory stereo and speakers i would reccommend a sealed enclosure...one more thing...have fun man...that is what this is all about...
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
Alright I will make Myself clear on the Kenetik batterys.     We have ran 2 kicker kx1200's at shows and had no voltage issues during burps, but that is just it, It is during a show and we are only burping for a matter of seconds.     I would enforce that you could not drive daily like that, although we are running one battery the kenetik and the stock alt in a honda civic, and running a kx1200 at .5 ohm and it manages to keep up just fine, the dimming is so slight you dont notice it unless you lok for it.       
If anyone has any further questions regarding kenetik please feel free to ask me.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  

SAMT18 wrote:
ok.  i thought that there had to be a way i could replace the head unit and still be able to use my DVD system, but i just didn't know what it was.  I will look into the Eclipse head units...i'm somewhat partial to Alpine though, so is there anything Alpine makes that would work?

Basically any CDA model Alpine head unit is capable to do what you want, however the only models i reccomend would be The CDA-9830, CDA-9831, CDA-9835, CDA-9855, all the other models have pretty much sunk in quality beyond what i would call satisfactory.

Definately still check out the Eclipse head units, they are very compeditively priced, look at the CD5435 $350 or CD5425 $250 as a cheaper alternative but still with 3 pre outs and built in crossovers to protect your factory speakers from being demolished from bass until you can afford an upgrade, or desire an upgrade.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic