icon

new volfenhaug 12's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hossdillon 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2005 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
i just got 2 new comp series 12" subs i tried to hook them up the way they said in the manual for ohms 2 -4 -or 8 i tried the 2 ohm set up however when one speaker was hooked up it sounded good when i connected the other they muffled out ( rockwood X plorer 1600 watt) so i tried running them bridged and still the same outcome when i hooked the + up on each channel and connected the - to the same terminal they sounded a little better but not near the sound that i anticipated, i took the speakers out of the box about 7 times trying everything in the book (keep in mind it is a bandpass with a million screws) the only way i can get them to push "ok" is running a single coil on each speaker?....... any suggestions on how to hook up both coils on each speaker and get it to the full potential? any suggestions on where to adjust the "gain", Bass boost , bass freq and low pass filter would also be a great help. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
maxxedout89
southside 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2005 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
reverse the polarity on the hook up on the amp. meaning the positive wire from the sub to the neg on the amp. it has helped me before
southsider
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 11, 2005 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

If the manual tells you 2,4 or 8 ohms, they're DVC 4ohm subs.  With two of them, here are your wiring choices:

new volfenhaug 12's - Last Post -- posted image.

They SAY 2,4 or 8 ohms but the choices are really 2 or 8 per sub.  The 4 is thrown in there because TECHNICALLY if you use just one voice coil the sub will be 4 ohm.

(If the subs are NOT DVC 4 ohm, post a response and go no further.)

The second diagram above, with subs wired series/parallel, is the only way you can go.  This setup should work with any amp.  Whatever Rockwood is, they should provide you with a user's manual to show how to use the features.  But here is the basics - the gain is the input level control, probably a screw.  Turn it counterclockwise all the way to the stop.  With the system setup completely and subs wired as shown above, play a CD.  You will barely hear it, but turn the deck up until the sound gets like it sounds "forced".  That should be about 3/4 up on the volume control.  When you get to that point where you hear the sound start to sound strained, turn it back down a little.  That's the maximum clean output of the deck.

To set amplifier gain at this time, turn the screw clockwise slowly...the sound will come alive.  It may not take much of a turn to get to the point where the music starts to lose its clarity, sounding "strained".  Just like you did with the deck, turn the amp's gain back down a slight bit until you are satifsfied that the music sounds good, although it will be at maximum volume so be careful.  You have now successfully set the gain.

Bass boost is for idiots, so leave it off or at minimum.

An amplifier will have built-in active crossovers for high pass (to speakers or components) and low pass (to the subwoofer).  Take your time listening to a variety of your favored music sources and adjust those until you have a smooth transition of sound from the speakers to the subwoofer.  This part doesn't have to be scientific...it's all about how it sounds to you.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
hossdillon 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  
thanks i linked the top two coils together from one sub to the other and ran the +,- on the bottom two out reversed polarity on one sub so i had +- on the + of the amp and +- on the - side bridged it sounds better but still for some reason still not the hard low bass i was getting out of my fosgate DVC's that i blew and silliconed back together.......... hmmm what about the bass freq? and low pass is half way proficient in catching the lower notes?
maxxedout89
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 4:20 AM / IP Logged  
don't even think you will get the sound from a volvenhaggg, that you will get from a Fosgate.
Big Dave
Audionut4u 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 5:38 AM / IP Logged  

I happen to have two of the comp. Volfenhag 12's.... And they are set up on an Autotec Mean Machine. I ran them parallel on the two channel for a 2 ohm stereo load. In the box I built for them they sound pretty good. They are comp subs so I entered and hit almost 143.0 on a Term-lab at a Usaci Outlaw event. I havent had any loudness issues out of mine, and sometimes it gets to be over-powering to be honest... Hope this post is helpful and not too late.  B.W.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic