best box for SPL

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2005 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  

dwarren wrote:
You will decrease power handling in a vented enclosure, so try to keep the power right around the rms figure.

This is false. Within the ports most effective area power handling is actually increased both thermally and mechanically.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Bumpin' Yota 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2005 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
audiobass10 wrote:

dwarren wrote:
You will decrease power handling in a vented enclosure, so try to keep the power right around the rms figure.

This is false. Within the ports most effective area power handling is actually increased both thermally and mechanically.

You both are correct and wrong at the same time...

Mechanical power handling increases near tuning of the box (usually much more than a comparable sealed,) but one octave above or below that tuning the mechanical power handling is actually less.  Also the THERMAL power handling does NOT change.  Thermal power handling is 100% independant of the box design.  Thermal power handling, is quite simply the amount of power that a coil can dissipate.

As a point of refrence my setup:

4 '03 kicker L7 12s  (rms 750w each.)  To each of these subs I am running a Zapco 9.0.   Each of my 4 9.0s carries a rating of 2200watts RMS.  Needless to say I can go WAY over the thermal and mechanical limits of those subs at about EVERY frequency save 38-50hz  loudest note is 42hz.  Above and below that range they will bottom when I bring the full 8.8kW to bear.  And of course Im hugely overloading them thermally....

Keep in mind the more power you apply to the sub in real time, the smaller the bandwith it is capable of playing due to the mechanical limits of the sub.  On my setup I am very limited in the frequencies I can play at full volume.  At normal listening volumes I am fine....  In a sealed box you will have the best powerhandling across a very large bandwith.  A ported box has a smaller bandwith and overall its power handling is less, however near tuning it's mechanical power handling is much much more than that of a comparable sealed.

2x dB Drag World Finalist
2003 Nopi Nat. Street B champ
2004 SBN Street C champ
2004 SBN Advncd NW Champ
2004 Former WR Holder in NW
In loving memory of Jamie Riggs 5/15/85 - 10/8/04
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2005 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
Bumpin' Yota wrote:
audiobass10 wrote:

dwarren wrote:

You both are correct and wrong at the same time...

Mechanical power handling increases near tuning of the box (usually much more than a comparable sealed,) but one octave above or below that tuning the mechanical power handling is actually less.  Also the THERMAL power handling does NOT change.  Thermal power handling is 100% independant of the box design.  Thermal power handling, is quite simply the amount of power that a coil can dissipate.

As a point of refrence my setup:

4 '03 kicker L7 12s  (rms 750w each.)  To each of these subs I am running a Zapco 9.0.   Each of my 4 9.0s carries a rating of 2200watts RMS.  Needless to say I can go WAY over the thermal and mechanical limits of those subs at about EVERY frequency save 38-50hz  loudest note is 42hz.  Above and below that range they will bottom when I bring the full 8.8kW to bear.  And of course Im hugely overloading them thermally....

Keep in mind the more power you apply to the sub in real time, the smaller the bandwith it is capable of playing due to the mechanical limits of the sub.  On my setup I am very limited in the frequencies I can play at full volume.  At normal listening volumes I am fine....  In a sealed box you will have the best powerhandling across a very large bandwith.  A ported box has a smaller bandwith and overall its power handling is less, however near tuning it's mechanical power handling is much much more than that of a comparable sealed.

Guess i wasn't specific enough. Thanks for clearing that up though.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for all the info  i think i'm gonna go with a soundstream amp the 900 D its 900 RMS @ 1 ohm so if i get 2 more subs i won't need to get a new amp  im going to go with the ported box 3 cubes per chaimber can someone give me specs for the box ??
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic