icon

Legacy LA330 Amp Only Works w/Ground to Amp Chassis

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ohio cichlids 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
I got a Legacy LA330 400 watt here I got for free. I cant get it hooked up. In order to get it to power up, I have to run a ground to the back(chassis) of the amp. Any ideas? Clean looking amp, guy said it was a year old when messed up.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
Huh? a ground to the chasis of the amp or the car?
A lead from the amp to a proper ground on the car is more like it.
Ohio cichlids 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

I have to ground the amp chassis.

Ok ay, look, if its installed correct, the right way it will not work or power up.  If I unscrew the gropund from the amp, and touch it to the back of the amp it works.  Its wierd!!

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
It's a Legacy... sounds like the internal ground plane is defective.  I would expect it to be noisy and possibly have a ground loop hum, or you might get lucky and it'll work like that for a while.  When it fails, chuck it.
Support the12volt.com
Ohio cichlids 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

Id like to see it get fixed.  How would check that ?

Another guy mentioned  "Sounds like the ground connector is junk. Take a meter and check resistance b/w the ground screw and the case. I bet it's an open circuit."

Again, how do I check and repair it?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
I pretty much agree with the other guy except to say I bet it's not the connector and you probably can't fix it yourself.  It'd cost more to have a shop fix than it's worth.  I'd junk it.  Legacy (and Pyle and Pyramid and Crunch and many others) are among the large group of "disposable" brands.  When they break, they are trash.
Support the12volt.com
Ohio cichlids 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

ok, but Id rather fix it.  How do I diagnose the problem?

southside 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
he just told u! it would cost more to fix than to buy a better amp for the same price to have it fixed. but take it to a shop an they will let u how much an if it is worth it or not
southsider
Ohio cichlids 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
Since it works when the chassis is grounded, could I just drill the case for a ground, and use it like that for a while
southside 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
ya u could but it will over load the amp an smokie the bear will come an u will have to buy a new amp anyways so common sense says lose it sell it:) or if need be rock it till the wheels come off.
southsider

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic