icon

LED Dome Light Stays On

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MysteryPat 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
I am replacing my 2002 Cavalier dome light with a bunch of leds I have it all wired and everything but when i close the door the leds start to dim but then they still are on a little bit. So I took a multimeter and discovered then when the doors are closed there is still 9v of power being supplied to the dome light.. Is there any electricall component I can buy so that the leds won't come on unless there is more then 9.5v of power?
SLIC Installer 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
A resistor in series may do the trick.... how exactly did you ad the led's to the wire.
MysteryPat 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 6:37 AM / IP Logged  
I drilled holes into some plexi-glass putt in around 20 led's each with their own 330ohm resistor and then just connected it to the dome light wires...
Theshadow27 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
you are looking for a zener diode.
radio shack sells a 5.1v
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F006%5F000&product%5fid=276%2D565
but you can get them anywhere.
if you put 2 of them in series, with both white strips going towrds +12v, and put in a relay with one coil from the diodes and one to ground. then you can wire this relay into your LEDs
what happens is when you are below 10.2 volts (5.1+5.1, zeners in series act as one big zener) the zener is below its breakdown voltage and does not conduct because it is backwords - the cathode is at + and the anode is at -. when you get above 10.2 volts (hopefully 12 for on) the zeners break down (dont worry, they are supost to) and conduct. this will switch the relay, and your LEDs, on.
MysteryPat 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks alot, I'm going to go there in a few min a get 2 of them.... I'll wire it up and post an update.
Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic