icon

Polyurethan/Fiberglass question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
turtleturtle 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, what about PAM, or grease.  Would that work?
"...am I not Turtley enough for the Turtle Club?"
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
I was hoping could spray on, to make life easier.
gjwr 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

Be painfully aware that the Methyl-Ethyl Keytone Peroxide (or MEK) catalyst used in FG is a very hungry and insipid substance. It will attack and melt various other polymers without much warning and once it starts it likes to keep going. try using a styrofoam cup to mix in one day... just make sure you have something else to put it in afterwards. I believe polyethylene and poly propylene are safe (standard materials used for making buckets and jugs) polystyrene is not. I dont remember now all the ones that eat and dont, but these stick to memory.

As far as release agent, Wax on Wax off... releaseall #2 works well, find a composite materials wholeseller in your area and they will have it... works the best of anything I have used.

just two cents from a former apprentice glasser who got smart and got out before the chemicals ate him

mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like the chemicals did eat you...I have never known anybody not holding a beaker that can spout the chemical names of buckets...LOL just kidding. Good information though.
First off I wouldn't attempt to re-make the front body kit...What I would do is cut off what ever pieces don't fit (headlights, fenders,etc) that way you still have two things...a way to attach it to your car, and the flexibility of polywhatever it was.
Next, tape off the sections of your car that you want to add...your headlights, double tape them off, add wax, resin, then glass to re-create your headlights, once that is dried, take those off and hot glue them in thier spot on your body kit...remember, measure twice cut once.
When all of that is done you can secure the body kit onto your car, mask off the front of your car, wrap the front in fleece hot gluing it down to anchor it until it conforms to your desired shape, add resin to JUST THE BUMPER AND EMPTY SPACE THAT YOU NEED TO RE-CREATE...don't go resining your CF hood and all of that fancy jazz.
After that dries, unbolt the bumper, start glassing your little heart away, then start bondo-ing your little heart away, ten you can sand all of your worries away, then when it is all said and done...you'll take a step back, look at your project and wonder why you didn't spend the 350.00 to buy a brand new one for your car.
Good luck man, your in for a hell of an experience...and it ain't gonna be done by Heat Wave.
us_test 
Copper - Posts: 200
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
turtleturtle - some of the PROs use McGuiar number 8 wax as a mol releaser.
(1) Kenwood Excelon Head Unit KDC-X589 (24 bit Burr Brown DAC, 3 X 4 volt RCA).
(1) RF Punch 250A2 - running the components.
(1) Hifonics 6.5" Atlas Components (18db crossovers).
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info everyone.  Will try McGuiar, sounds easy to use.
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 3:08 AM / IP Logged  
uscomposites.com    fiberglast.com    good web sights to get spray release from as well as other supplies.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic