icon

How to become a installer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
norris04 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
I have no knoledge on how to install alarms. What can I do if I want to learn? 
Norris04
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

formal education wont help much... you have to actually get in there and do it.... understanding the flow of the wiring diagrams before you begin is a good starting point....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

Having a good background in electronics will help a great deal..

Jim

bretbowman 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
1st rule - don't be afraid to screw something up.  Just get in there, be brave, and DO IT!
Tangkilla69 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  
I disagree, be VERY afraid of screwing something up. One wrong connection and your wiring harness is up in smoke. I would try to get in with a few good installers and get them to help you install an alarm on YOUR own vehicle. Don't stand there and watch, you actually need to do the work. Ask them to explain EVERYTHING. The thing about alarms is that there are so many differences between installing them from one car to the next. You need to understand relays, wiring diagrams, positive and negetive triggers and quite a few other things. It takes practice. But the good news is, once you get the swing of things, they are pretty easy and straight forward.   
SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
I would recommend reading as many sources as you can to start.  This site is full excellent information.  Also you may get your hands on an MECP study guide.  They just started printing a new one in 2004 and it has  a great security section.  I agree that it is a good idea to get with an installer who has experience.  Thats how I started and then started doing more and more on my own.  It is also good to start learning through doing, but I would say only work on your vehicles to start with.  The best thing you can do is try to learn as much about it as you can before attempting.  Convience systems are so much more involved with the vehicle than audio systems.  Good Luck!
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
Addition to all the advise above:
Like most of us we started installing alarm in vehicle for free for family and friends. What I would advise is have someone who knows a thing or two about installation and have them guide you just a bit to get you on the right track. Listen, and ask questions! Read, study and understand what you are reading. Start charging when you can no longer do it for free anymore. When you start charging. Charging only for butt connector, screws, tapes, coffee, and a soda pop. Don't charge $17 for the install. You are not quite there yet!
The cars that you have done an install on. Mark them down somewhere. Any First try at a car you have never work on it's should be free. (Even till today my colleague and I still hold this principal!) Second attempt will cost no more then a coffee, a soda pop, two butt connector and a roll of electrical tape. Third attempt. $12 which will cover you for a roll of tape, a terminal, and a drink at the peeler pub.    When you can not remember how many of these same cars you have done then you charge them for a fair price to help you cover your daily expenses.
Finally, remember one thing when you have aquired the knowledge and skill to put in an alarm, you in the end will be accountable for your work. It's more than just taping up a few wires and making it work. Workmanship, ethic, and most of all resposibilty is something that has to come FIRST when you accept payment for your work. How to become a installer - Last Post -- posted image.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.How to become a installer - Last Post -- posted image.
yamathegreat 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  

ok so most advice seems to be get someone to go through it alll with you and help you with an install or 2.on that noteis there any pro installers in the calgary area who would be willing to go through an install with me? i will of course pay you for your time and provide the drinks. i have become quite interested in this and have done 2 installs before although very very easy ones and i do have a more complex one i would like to do and would love a hand if anyone has time.

if interested pls pm me and let me know!

thanx

jeff

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
I learned most of what i know from personal experience. I picked up some good information here on this site, but there is nothing like experience. I pretty much disagree with not charging for your first installations. Don't charge too much right away since your first ones should be for people you know, but also don't whore yourself out for nothing. Your providing a service that most people are not willing to do and these things are a pain in the neck, back, hands and knees. If you burn their car down, i would recommend not charging them, but if it works, then you deserve to get paid.
This has already been said, but knowledge of how relays work is invaluable. Also you need to know how to test wires and know how different types of systems work like door locks, dorr triggers, and anti-theft systems (for remote start installs). Diodes are essential knowledge also.
Use the search feature on this site before doing each vehicle and read all you can about each vehicle before installing in it. Also get a good wire diagram and understand each connection.
Good luck.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic