icon

2001 Silverado Igniton Switch Problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Tangkilla69 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

I installed a DEI Remote Start system on a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado and it worked great.  I have done hundreds of these and never had a problem.   Well the customer came back and said that he had to have his ignition switch replaced and that the dealership said that the remote start caused the switch to go bad.  My call along with DEI Techs is that it is complete bull.  I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on this problem or maybe have had the same problem.  They replaced the ignition harness and the switch, which ended up costing the customer $500.  And on the last note after checking the connections, everything was soldered, taped, tied and correct.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like bull to me. i am a locksmith and the way the switch works in that truck is that there is a little connector about a 1/2 to 1" deep inside of the ign. switch. the key connects the two side together and creates the resistor value. thats way keys from home depot will work. that system is only set up the keep a screwdriver from starting the truck. i had to repair a switch on a saturn that stopped working...no remote start unit.....all you do when u add a remote start is tell the switch that they key is in....i have heard of the switches going bad, so i dont think it was your install.....
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
bull        the switch is mechanical remote starters are electric
shortdogchap 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
um how is an electrical ignition switch mechanical
steve
mobile1 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
the switch itself is mechanical. after it is turned it makes contacts that will allow current to flow. a relay is an electrical switch. a key cylinder is not. you putting a key into a switch and turning it is not electrical.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 19, 2005 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

So....back to the original post. The dealer replaced the key cylinder, and left all of your work in tact ??? And the R/S is still in, and working FINE? Does this make any sence at all. If the problem was caused by your install, would the problem not still exist? The dealer is full of sh*t, and the customer was lied to, and is believing it! Its a conspiracy.

Get proof of the problem, have you seen the "old" parts that the dealer replaced? Is something broken, or "cooked"

This situation sucks dude, and I feel for ya!

mobile1 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
i am only speaking from experiece. i had an 02 grand prix where the tumbler went bad in the key cylinder. the dealership of course blamed it on the remote starter. we had to physically take a switch apart to show the customer what happend, and they still didn't want to believe us. For some reason people believe dealerships over the people who actually know what they are talking about.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic