icon

best way to get more power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Reeceddogg 
Copper - Posts: 329
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
What's the best way route to go when you need more power.
New battery, altenator, or capacitor
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
short answer, alternator. It's the only component that produces power the others simply store power.
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
Before anybody starts flaming on you, do search. You'll find that neither a cap or a battery add power.
::edit:: dwarren beat me to it.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  

I'd have to agree with dwarren and oonikfraleyoo .. (WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?) ... but.. with reservations...

Its really quite complicated when you get into real powerful equipment.... things like caps and deep-cycle batteries do not *make* power, but they are invaluble in many applications... a larger alternator is only half the battle.

Things like engine wiring and whatnot are also very important.. have you heard of the 'big-three' wiring upgrade under the hood?

What exactly is going on to percipitate this question and perhaps we could point you in the right direction..

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
mthomecouple 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
alternator is the absolut way to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!
joe
SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
I'm with sedate we really need more information to be of best help.  He is correct with the upgrade of the big three.  If you want to address your current demand from cheapest to most expensive then start with the big three.  You can search in the forum for the big three, but generally if you increase the wire gauge of the ground from the battery to the vehicle chassis and the the wire from the alternator to the battery you will see a lot of your current problems resolved.  If this doesn't do the trick and you have to upgrade your alternator you would have to upgrade the wiring anyways so it does not hurt to try that first.  Good Luck!
Reeceddogg 
Copper - Posts: 329
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
i've already done the upgrade on the wire on the battery and alternator, i currently running 2 of the first rockford bd1500, i'm looking to upgrade my subs to the pioneer ts-w5000spl. so should i invest my money in a deep cycle battery and/or alternator?
outlaw000 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
you would wanna go with an alternator but if your planning on pushing the subs while the car is turned off the you also definatly wanna upgrade the battery too by the way those pioneers premiers are awsome
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
Alternator should be numero uno to upgrade, the more amps it is the better!! I would also get a deep cycle battery or two becasue im sure your gonna wanna play/show off the system when parked and dont want the car running, whether it be at a show or a party or whatever. You dont really need a capacitor, but they look cool and they wont hurt anything as long as your cars charging/electrical system is up to par.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic