icon

My dilemma: amp purchasing related

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Blinden 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
I really like the look of those JL's you put up there, will take a deeper look into those. But yeah, like I said, at this point, I'm just looking for something better then stock.
You are right though, about the audio-snobs, make it hard to ask any questions, seems like each person has their one brand that they tell you to buy, and if you don't then you are just wrong.
Thanks for the suggestions, i'm definately open to more if anyone has any other thoughts.
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X579 HU
More on the way...
SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
Every amp mentioned so far would be good.  I have heard some really good things about the PG amplifiers even though they are the low end of PG.  The JBL amps are good and so are the JL's.  I don't think you would go wrong with a US Acoustics amp either.  It really comes down to exactly what look you are trying to achieve and finding the amp that best suits your need.  I think this forum is pretty good about being opened minded when it comes to products. 
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  

Blinden wrote:
I really like the look of those JL's you put up there, will take a deeper look into those. But yeah, like I said, at this point, I'm just looking for something better then stock.
You are right though, about the audio-snobs, make it hard to ask any questions, seems like each person has their one brand that they tell you to buy, and if you don't then you are just wrong.
Thanks for the suggestions, i'm definately open to more if anyone has any other thoughts.

There are *alot* of very good manufactuers in this arena.  Anyone that completly trashes every brand except X is stupid and should be ignored.  They just wanna feel good about their own purchases so they walk around telling everyone and then they sound like a product brochure.  I recommend JL stuff cuz its critically reviewed and outstandingly well built... but that goes for lotsa products too.

When you say "something better than stock" that means HU power on coaxials and 100w amp on a 10 or 12" ...  bi-amping a system in the manner you are talking about is a total car stereo dude.  You can get extream quality when you start using two amps in this manner.  The two PG amps are quite suitable for this ... of course, the JL's would start you *considerably* higher on the totem pole...

For all of $400 you'd spend on the PG's, I couldn't imagine you'd find anything else that you'd like more.  If you compared the JBL's I recommended earlier with the PG's you're looking at, you really wouldn't be much happier with one over the other.  I'd tell ya the JL's are a definate step up.. as would something from Boston Acoustics..  but given what you're looking at you'd be just as happy with the $300 in you pocket.  If you really like the JL's, check out their lower tier stuff too...

http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/e4300.html

http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/e1400.html

Just remember, with stuff like this, often times, more isn't better it's just more. 

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
Keeping in mind I am a Diamond Audio fan so I am quite bias, I do belieeve that a D3600.1 and a D3400.4 would fit the bill quite nicely here. Plus lifetime warrenty is a wonderful thing if you have a somewhat local dealer you can go to, they will install them quite cheap if it is just a matter of switching some wires.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
Forgot to add the link, wtb edit post option!
Diamond Audio D3 Amplifiers
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
one other option that you could consider is goin with some eclipse amps. they have a bridge for two of them that simply covers the wires and makes it look like one whole amp. i'm currently running one eclipse amp and i love it. i'm not quite sure about pricing seeing how i haven't priced them lately. but it's just another idea.
one other idea, and it is farely lame, just hide the amps under a false floor or something like that where no one can see them. you can get amps that cater more to your rating preference and not worry about looks. i realize you probably won't do this, but i thought i'd just throw it out there.
hightek
alpine cda-9827
12" Brahma
Eclipse DA6213
and still working on it
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  

i think you should checkout www.ikesound.com and maybe look at some soundstream products online thats just my 2cents 

1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  

Have you considerd a 5 channel amp?

Memphis Makes a fantastic 5 channel called the Memphis Belle, its 75X4@ 4ohms and 1100X1 @1ohm

heres a link http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?cat=&id=29&p=2 and you can get it for around $700

Just a thought

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
us_test 
Copper - Posts: 200
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
The Memphis amp is nice.  I recommend Hifonics ZX8000 75x4 + 300 x 1 not as strong as the Belle but you can get it for like $200 shipped.
(1) Kenwood Excelon Head Unit KDC-X589 (24 bit Burr Brown DAC, 3 X 4 volt RCA).
(1) RF Punch 250A2 - running the components.
(1) Hifonics 6.5" Atlas Components (18db crossovers).
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic