icon

Stuck, routing speaker wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jvee 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

I have ran into a snag.  I am bi-amping components into front doors and there seems to be no way to get the wires through the factory rubber hose connecting door to body.  I don't know if I could get one wire through, let alone two.  I already did the rears - difficult, but done.  Now I am stuck.  Can I go outside of the tubes and then cut into the seals at both ends, or will that get me into more trouble.  Any help/advice would really be appreciated.

nguyenk 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
What car? Sometimes you can push the wires through using a sharp point like a tip of a screwdriver. Just be careful. If not, do what you say and put some silicon caulk around to seal it.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
Sure, you can drill new holes for it.  Use a length of small diameter rubber hose and slip it over the wire with the door open, and after the wire is inserted into the door push both ends of the rubber hose firmly into the two holes.  Or you can use grommets for the holes...or the dirty way is to wrap the wires in electrical tape and use silicone caulk in the drilled holes.  Just as long as the wires are protected from abrasion.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
If you absolutly can not fit it through the factory boot, you can always purchase a boot that is similar to factory on to run your speaker wire through or just as you described cutting into the seals.  It is wise to silicon the area around the speacker wire and the seal and make sure you run from high at the car body to low at the door so any water might run into the door not the kickpanel where many important vehicle electronics are placed.  Good Luck!
Jvee 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks...     Stevdart, I am assuming that rubber hose is a good idea just to help with the seal overall.  I am using twisted speaker wire so the outside layer should provide some protection for speaker wires.   
jussam 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
get yourself  fiberglass fish cable and a little gel and you should not have any trouble getting wires through boot take your time. the boot made be  ribbed and that's where your getting snag
2-alpine amp mrv-f545 4ch amp
polk audio 6 1/2 frontdoor w/alpine center speaker
polk audio 6 1/2 rear w/8"polk sub
2-12" alpine X type sub
2-alpine mdr-1005 amps
Jvee 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks all.  I cut new openings in the rubber boots and actually used a 26" road bike inner tube to insert wires and seal holes.  Since I was bi-wiring, I don't know how else I would have done it. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic