icon

how to join 2 amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tinter 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
how do u join the 2 amps? with speakers and woofer box, thank you for any help, yes i am a rookie,lol
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
Please describe your gear.  What are you trying to do with the two amps?
Support the12volt.com
tinter 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
alpine deck cdm-7871 going to 2 amps  not sure what brand, going to 10"x2 subwoofer box, with a crossover. I have been installing remote starters and alarms for 14 years, but never installed audio, except for the occasional deck for friends, thanks again
jussam 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  

how to join 2 amps? -- posted image.

4ga wire from battery +to the  rear  to a distribution block 4ga-split to(2) 8ga for short run if amp are close to each other if not fuse each 8ga.

ground to chassis from (-) of each amp

remote (ign) from hu to a relay or splice y type to remote on amp

2-alpine amp mrv-f545 4ch amp
polk audio 6 1/2 frontdoor w/alpine center speaker
polk audio 6 1/2 rear w/8"polk sub
2-12" alpine X type sub
2-alpine mdr-1005 amps
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
I disagree with the above hookup suggestion.   You have an Alpine cdm-7871 with three sets of pre-outs (front, rear and subwoofer.)  I suggest connecting the front-rear preouts to a good quality four-channel amp to power your main speakers, and connect the subwoofer output to a dedicated subwoofer amp for the 10's you have.  You will need three sets of stereo RCA cables long enough to run from your HU to your amps.  Use the HPF in the HU or in the 4-channel amp to run your mains above 80Hz, and set your LPF subwoofer crossover to 80Hz.  Choose the proper size power and ground wire for the amps you purchase.
Support the12volt.com
tinter 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you, you guys are awesome,the good thing about forums is you can get more than 1 opinion, thank you both for your time and expertice,cheers
claytonduk 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  

hello ,

I have a different situation . any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a kenwood head unit with

only 2 sets of outputs. front and rear. I am trying to connect a 4 channel sony amp with a 2 channel bridgable amp

for a subwoofer. how do I connect the head unit and 2 amps? thanks for your help!!  

outlaw000 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
you can connect the front output to the four channel amp and set the high pass filters from both the headunit and amp (if any) and then connect the rear channel output to your 2 channel for your subs and set the low pass filter from both the headunit and amp (if any) and you should be fine
claytonduk 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks outlaw,

I guess I should have been more specific. my fault. My head unit has front and rear outputs. my 4 channel amp has

front and rear inputs. my 2 channel amp has one input and one output with a passthru. crutchfield said to connect

the front output of the head unit to the front input of the 4 channel . then connect the rear output of the headunit to the

output of the 2 channel amp. then connect the input of the 2 channel amp to the rear input of the 4 channel amp. 

its seems if i'm going to passthru the 2 channel I sould go from the head unit rear, to 2 channel input and then from 2 channel output to rear input of the 4 channel.

thanks again for your help, hopefully not too confusing!  

Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  

I personally would not go about installing it  that way, I would say run two sets of RCA's from your HU, when you get to the amplifiers, use a set of splitters on the front set of outputs and connect to the four channel, and the rear to the two channel powering your sub. This will give you fade capability between your subs and mains. Also if something happens to your amplifier powering you subs, you wont get cut out of your rear mains.

Either way will do the trick, it's your install. Good luck

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic