icon

Wire routing / noise issue?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swede 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
I'm in the process of running all new wiring throughout my car for this system. Its a wagon and the amps are mounted in the far back corner walls. I'm running the power lines and remote turn-ons down the driver's side, as thats the side my battery is on; all patch cables down the passenger side.
Now, will noise resonate into 14ga. speaker wires? Obviously I have a front and rear driver's side doors that will have to be run, so somewhere along the lines those and the power cables are going to cross paths. If so, there may be a Plan B, but I'm curious none the less.
One of those things I didn't think of til I got there.    Wire routing / noise issue? -- posted image.
Subtlety is EVERYTHING.
91rsliberty 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  

Just make sure the cables you are using are street wires zn3 or zn6 series cables (doesnt have to be streetwires but they seem to make the best cables, just make sure they are a twisted pair cable  this is your best bet against noise)

they also make a twisted pair speaker wire, not cheap but very good.. see how you go with the speaker wires you have , but most of your noise is induced between the head unit and amp (as it gets amplified and then you can hear it ) cables will have to cross or get close at one point or another just try to minimise it i guess

see how you go ..

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 19, 2005 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
Signal wires (pre-amplification) that run parallel with power wires are apt to pick up interference which then becomes amplified, but crossing perpendicularly should not cause a problem.  Speaker wires, on the other hand, should be fine to run any which way, because they are after the amplification stage.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
swede 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2005 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks stevdart - thats makes sense.
I didn't think about the pre and post amplification stages, but crossing perpendicularly did.
Thanks again.
Subtlety is EVERYTHING.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic