the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2 amps and fuses to battery install?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stillfading 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
Already have a 4 channel amp installed for my speakers.
Headunit has 4 preamp outputs
I have a dual voice coil sub waiting to be hooked up to a mono amp that are both uninstalled.
I bought a wiring kit for the new amp and sub with all the basic stuff.
How do I wire the new amp to my sub and everything? I can't just do it like the other amp can I? Is it safe to have 2 fuses connected to the battery? Can I even do that? I dont want to bridge the amps, just need the new one wired for my sub.
Do I need a distribution block? My friend said I need a splitter of some sort so I dont have 2 fuses connected to my battery. What's the easiest route to go?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe using two properly fused leads for two seperate amps off of one battery is bad.
It may not look as good as taking a larger gauge cable to a fuse distro. block near the bat to smaller leads, but that requires more.
stillfading 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
I wanted to know the safest route to go, safe as in power wise. I already have my amp wiring kit and would have to buy a distribution block or would I need something else to split the 2 amps near the battery??
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
i don't see why  you cant wire two fuse's and powerleads off of your battery what gauge wire do you have running now?
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
theres no problem with haveing 2 power wires, but its alot of un needed electrical hazzards.  I reccomemd a proper power wire capable of handleing your amps, and a fused distrobution block to split the power to your amps.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
91rsliberty 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

2 cables and fuses are fine but your better off getting one larger guage power cable with one fuse at the battery ( to the value of all the fuses on both you amps ) then run to where you have the amps (boot?) get a fused distribution block and run to each amp with correct fusing in each

also looks better and more serious having huge cable running thru your engine bay 2 amps and fuses to battery install? -- posted image.

Phil

stillfading 
Posted: June 19, 2005 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
i think i might go the distribution block route
My 4 channel amp wiring is 8 AWG
My mono amp wiring is 4 AWG
So for the distribution block, I would need it to have what exactly?
Input: 2 slots for 8 and 4 AWG wire
Output: 1 slot for 2 AWG wire
Input is the wire coming from my amp, correct? Output is what is going to connect to my battery? I'd probably run 2 AWG to my battery, as that should be plenty.
I would have to get a new fuse as well to handle both amps if i get a distr. block? I'm running 70 RMS x 4 for my speakers and gonna be running 1200 x 1 for my sub.
Where do I mount the block?
Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

Two properly fused connections at the battery are fine.  But yes you are better off running one large wire to a Distro block.  There are even some nice ones with LED voltage displays as well. You can mount the block anywhere near the your amps and just tie in the necessary wire to power your amps individually.  The block will only need one input for the wire from the battery. and Two outputs for the wire that will power your amps.  Most come with at least 4 outputs. some fuse each branch individually so you don't lose power on both amps if you encounter a problem.

I'll refer you to the section on the left hand side of the site:

Under "Car Audio" select "Power and Ground"  These charts will give you an idea of what size wire you'll need to get to the block and then to the amps.  A very rough way of determining what size wire you'll need is to see what fuses your amps are rated for then select a wire size that handles the sum of the two amps. The same goes for the Battery end fuse, wire one in that has the rating you need while not over exceding the current you'll be drawing by too much.  Getting a fused distro block just adds extra safety. (recomended)

Don't forget that your Ground wire needs to be at least as big or bigger than the power wire your using for the amps.

Good Luck

stillfading 
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so i'll need to get then:
distribution block
2 AWG wire for my input wire
New fuse that can handle the power of both amps
I've referred to that chart many times in choosing which amp kits to get, I already have my 8 AWG amp installed and for my sub amp I have my 4 AWG kit ready to be. Now I'll have to search for the 2 AWG wire and a fuse that can handle 280 watts from 1 amp (for speakers) and 1200 watts from the other amp (for sub)
when choosing a fuse, do i look up watts value or ??? ahhh trying to learn is difficult!
2 amps and fuses to battery install? -- posted image.
stillfading 
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
ah.
my 1st amp has a fuse rating of 25x3 = 75
my 2nd amp has a fuse rating of 40x3 = 120
so the fuse i will need has to provide 195 or higher so i can push 1400+ watts to my total system
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic