icon

expander filler for inside box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
turbopseidon 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
where can I get this stuff I read about it and now I can't find it...I built the box and am going to glass it but I want something I can pour into the inside that will fill any holes to make it air tite...i read about an expander on here that would do the trick im sure any ideas?
tehgregzor 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
if you put that kinda stuff inside your box, you're really gonna reduce your airspace. You should do it from the outside. And, freakin A, if you're gonna make a fiberglass box, you should *really be able to not have any holes like that. At least, not after 3~4 good layers.
turbopseidon 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
im just stating from a stand point that I want a nice air tight box just being over cautious thanxs..
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
If you make a fiberglass box and it's not airtight, throw it away and have someone else do it for you.expander filler for inside box - Last Post -- posted image.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
ajgonzales 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
dump some resin inside of it and swirl it around to get into the corners and whatever
civicdetailer 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
i got mine from us composites.. noone local had it
Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it, but you are scared of the consequences.
Crispix396 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2005 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
I made the bondo/fiberglass resin mix... about 50/50... poured it inside and swirled it around...  I had a good sized leak that i didnt see prior to and a lot poured out o the ground (oops)  but that worked pretty damn good for me.
nothing amazing yet, but its coming
phatx96xaccord 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2005 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
After u do what the others suggest, try getting some undercoating spray and spray the inside of the box, also the brand Plastikote, has a product called trunk spray, or something like that, its kinda like undercoating, looks like it would do a good job sealing and sound dampening.
would u like your chicken original or extra crispy?
elmaschingon_18 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2005 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged  

Hey Turbo, the resin expander is called Areosil or cabasil I believe. I bought a 10 pound bag from an industrial business who imports it from Germany. It cost me 70 big ones! Then I come to find out from an internet install buddy from Louisana that you can use regular baby powder to do the trick.  You simply mix resin and this substance together until you get the desired texture (usually until it's pourable) and next, add your MEKP(hardner) to the batch then it's ready to be poured inside the box. Concenterate on the corners, and where fleece meets to MDF. I do half inch thickness and it works fine.

Hope that clears or helps you out!

sanding sucks!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic