icon

Mercury 2003 Audio Mute OEM pinout

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jimmalloy 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2002 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
Just took delivery on a 2003 Grand Marquid and need any help you can provide on which wire# to connect Nokia hands-free car kit phone mute to.... Ford radio is a *868 which MAY be an Alpine with 3 connectors on chassis - one 24 position, one 16 position, & one 8 position.  Radio is combo cassette / single CD plus AM / FM.  Thanks in advance for ancy help you can provide!
Jim Malloy
matrix 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
First make sure the car is capable of having phone mute.  Then make sure the car does not have a tuner pack in the trunk somewere because on some of the newer cars (BMW, Mercedes) have them not at the deck.  Then if all else fails be careful and put an inline fuse of one amp or less on a wire and probe the suspected wire.  If probe the wrong one it will blow the fuse on the wire and not the car .  the mute wire is negative
matrixman
jimmalloy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2002 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  

Matrixman - thanks for the suggestion.I used a 1K ohm resistor instead of the fuse to limit current, grounded one end of the lead, and found the terminal # I needed --- it's terminal 1 on the 24 pin connector (as indicated on the "face" of the connector  body).  Physically, it's on the bottom row about in the middle of the connector, and is w/o any factory wire  (You'll need to provide your own socket insert).  As soon as I ground this pin, the audio muted and "PHONE" was displayed on the radio face.

Thanks again.

Jim Malloy

Jim Malloy
groby 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2002 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 2003 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor and want to do the same thing. How are you getting the negative signal from your phone?  I was hoping to do something similar for my car.  My goal is to have the car speakers be used for the phone and have a remote microphone.  I was hoping to use the ear piece jack somehow so that any phone could be used in my car.

Is it possible to use relays to feed the speakers from another small amplifier?  I was thinking if I could figure out which wires feed the speakers I could hook them up to relays and have the power from the amplier when I turn it on switch the relays, cut off the head unit and feed the speakers from the small amplifier.  Am I way off base here?  New to this and just trying to figure something out safety.

jimmalloy 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2002 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

The negative signal comes from the Nokia hands-free car kit (charger/cradle, small speaker, microphone, and central control box).  Most OEM car kits that I've seen have an output for this function. I connected the MUTE wire from the carkit to pin 1 as described above.

I don't know whether you can fully integrate the car kit w/ the head unit so it could use the car speakers for the phone; also I'm afraid I can't help you with the hookup w/o a car kit.  I think that the phone signals you need to use are on the "bottom" edge of the phone (ring sense, place call, etc to automute the radio)  You should be able to get mic in / audio out from the earphone connector though.  If you look at an "ear bud" type of handsfree, the connector is "stereo" and uses one of the connectors + barrel for audio out, and the second connector + barrel for mic in.

Jim Malloy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic