icon

door pod construction

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tim828 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
ok i am making some door pods for my car.   ok after i wrap my fleece over rings i am going to attach another ring after that and build it up on the sides with glass and bondo before paint.   what i am wondering is the second ring i put on,  the one that will make the speaker sit flush.  does it need  to be covered in bondo or fiberglass and then sanded to be smoth.  or can i just blend it on the side.  if you dont use the glass or bondo will the wood look the same as the rest when it is painted?
customcarchris 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
Why don't you put both rings together so that the speaker fits flush and then glass over the top of both rings, then you will have one curve and no extra bondo work to build the sides. As far as painting, No, wood will look different, if you are using wood, put a thin layer of resin on the top and sand it smooth because wood will look very different painted than fiberglass/bondo/metal/etc.
tim828 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2005 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
well i noticed on hzemall's site he puts flush ring on after fleece.  if you put fleece over second ring ,  how would you pull the fleece flat where the speaker mounts.i  guess you could use a removable plug but is that the best way? 
customcarchris 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2005 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  

I don't know if I'm 100% sure on what you're saying, but either way, you do need something on top of the wood to paint it.

Pulling the fleece flat where the speaker mounts is not making sense to me.  Do you mean inside where the speaker actually mounts?

If so I don't know why you would need fiberglass on that part.

Which install of hzemall were you looking at?

tim828 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2005 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
ok i am going to make two rings.  ok if i flush mount my speaker and grill.  i have kicker components so the grills are 3/4 inch thick.  so the second ring of 3/4 mdf will be bigger round than the grill so that the speaker will sit down onthe first ring flush.   but i am wondering if i should put fleece over first ring and then add second ring.  or attach rings together before fleecing and  wrap fleece over both rings.  i was thinking if i fleeced over first ring and then added second i could build it up on the sides of the ring with glass.   if i did the rings other way where would i blend the glass and wood?
tim828 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
i am going to be making some door pods and all i need to know is how many layers should it be.  i was thinking only 1 or 2.  i am using the fiberglass from home depot so im not sure of the thickness.  thnaks guys.
M&mfabrications 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
What you would want to do is attach the two rings together first. When you have wrapped your fleece and added your first layer of resin you can cut the center out of it. To make sure that the fleece and the MDF hold together you can fiberglass them from the back. If you only do one ring first you will make a lot of unnecessary work for yourself.
tim828 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

ok thanks

i got one more ?.  where do the fiberglas and the mdf meet.  just one the top.  so should i not round the edge on the top ring?  seems like if i rounded the edge and then you ended with glass on top of the ring it would give you a hump where they met.  i hope you undestand what i mean.  should i take the resin and the glass all the way to the bottom ring.  sorry if this sounds confusing.  i am going to start tommorrow and am trying to get all the fine details worked out.  it is my first time.

M&mfabrications 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  

I don't follow what you mean about the hump, but yes you would still want to round the edge so that you get a smooth transition instead of a hard edge on the side of the ring. Depending on how your rings are set you may only have the fleece contacting the wood at the top edge. If that is the case then will definately want to fiberglass around the rings from the back to make sure they stay together. The pictures below aren't of a door pod but they show how I did a flush mount speaker box.  As you can see in the last picture, there is a smooth transition leading up to the speaker hole.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/townzenm/DSC02617.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/townzenm/DSC02620.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/townzenm/DSC02649.jpg

tim828 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
im sorry i meant should i round off  the ring on the inside.  i have seen in other pictures this is a hard line.  the outside of  of the ring would definetly be rounded.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic