5th wheel RV stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bhicks0944 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

It will be obvious that I am a real beginner in this area.  I have a 5th wheel RV that had its AM/FM radio/tape deck unit suddenly die.  I have a plan to install an auto radio, CD or tape deck in the "hole" where the stereo used to be.  I know it will take some creative mounting for the unit to fit, but I first need to know if there is any reason why my plan won't work?  The 5th wheel is a 12v system.  The wiring bundle for the speakers, and the (4) wires that were hooked to the old stereo are still in place, along with an "plug" for the antenna.  QUESTION:  Aside from the mounting, styles, and options, associated with an audio set, do all sets basically have a standard wiring setup with an antenna plug?

I told you this is not one of my areas.  I am willing to tackle a job if I have some idea of what can be done, and how to do it.  I appreciate any help that you might be able to send my way.

Thank you,

Bill

outlaw000 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2005 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  

i dont see why your idea wont work as long as you find all your wires and have an idea of how to mount it on

aftermarket radios the color coding is as is :

yellow:constant (12v)
red:switch(accessory)
black:Ground
blue/white stripe:remote amp(ampturn on)
blue: power antenna
white:left front (+) speaker
WHITE/ black stripe:left front (-) speaker
grey:right front (+) speaker
grey/black stripe: right front (-) speaker
green:left rear (+) speaker
GREEN/ black stripe:left rear(-) speaker
purple:right rear (+) speaker
PURPLE / black stripe: right rear (-) speaker

so just find these wires in your rv test them to verify that they are the right wires and just hardwire them to the harness on your aftermarket radio

bhicks0944 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2005 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your expert advice.  It is great to know that one of my ideas might work.  Thanks again for taking the time to help out.

Bill

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  

Bill, it is highly uncommon that these color wires exist in your 5th wheel. Matter of fact I can bet that they are not. The wires listed above are the wires on the new aftermarket radio that you will be putting in, so do not hook them up color to color until you verify with a meter or test light what is what.

Some 5th wheels operate on what is called a common ground system, others a floating ground system. You need a floating ground system. The way to tell it apart is simple. The speaker wires coming from the speakers in a floating ground system will be in pairs, + and - . They will hook direct to the speaker wires on the cd player like the new one you are putting in. A common ground system uses something different. It ties all the - wires coming from the speakers together with the chassis ground. This is not what you want. If this is what you have then you will have to do some rewiring. Maybe have a look in there and see what color wires you have and how many in total. It would also help to know how many speakers are in the 5th wheel as well. If you have a test light or meter, let us know this as well so we can help you along each step of the way.

I am just off work right now and am extremely busy, however, one of the regular members should be able to pick up where I have left off and help you out as well.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic