icon

Finaly painted fiberglass box, cut+buff

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Nodestiny 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2005 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
Finaly painted fiberglass box, cut+buff -- posted image.
Best part about this is that all the products used for this box, except for the MDF, is bought from WALMART. Rattlecan primer/paint, sandpaper, fiberglass, etc.
Just goes to show you that ANYBODY could get the stuff and most likely do a fiberglass box of their own.
04 dodge neon SXT
(2) Oz Audio Matrix Elite 12"s sealed in 4 cube fiberglass enclosure, powered by HiFonics BX1605D
Oz Audio Matrix 180cs 6.5" component set power by HiFonics ZX4000
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2005 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not looking at it in person, but for a rattlecan paintjob that looks great. Very nice work.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
us_test 
Copper - Posts: 200
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2005 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah really good job for spray can.  I'm trying to get a spray gun to paint my FG projects.
(1) Kenwood Excelon Head Unit KDC-X589 (24 bit Burr Brown DAC, 3 X 4 volt RCA).
(1) RF Punch 250A2 - running the components.
(1) Hifonics 6.5" Atlas Components (18db crossovers).
Nodestiny 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2005 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, and in person, it looks about 10000X better ;) It almost puts my stock neon paint job to shame! Same color, BTW.
Just make sure to use Duplicolor if you use rattlecan... i dont know if there is anything comparable... probably is! but i have yet to find it.
Also, you figure the price of canned paint to spray, making sure you have a good air compressor with filters, a spray gun... having to mix it... clean everything up...
Unless you have the time and money (and equipment), rattlecan is just that much more worth it!
The only problem that happened with the rattlecan was the clearcoat. It gathered on the end and dripped on the box... wetsanding took it out, but still a pain.
04 dodge neon SXT
(2) Oz Audio Matrix Elite 12"s sealed in 4 cube fiberglass enclosure, powered by HiFonics BX1605D
Oz Audio Matrix 180cs 6.5" component set power by HiFonics ZX4000
hbk00 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2005 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
did you use the duplicolor clear too? Just curious, I'm a rattle can user too I used to use duplicolor when I was matching but now I've done things in the accent color of white and I pretty much use krylon now and it works pretty damn good, I just tried a different krylon triple thick clear glaze for clear coat; it claims to give the object your clearing depth and DAMN! they weren't lieing great gloss (more shiny than the car unless its freshly waxed!)and it sure is thick.
go custom or go home!!
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2005 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  

I've never had a problem with rattlecan paint, and it is pretty sick that almost all paint jobs on cars have lots of orange peel (the clear coat just makes people think its smooth and shiny...but if u look at it close...)  That looks very nice man.  Hey hbk00...can u get the krylon triple thick glaze at wallmart, or where do u get it?

Its still cheaper to paint a car with a gun than rattle can (if u use acrylic enamel that is)  first hand experience with that one....

chump 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2005 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  

That looks like some excellent work. Very good job. I painted my engine cover with Duplicolor high temperature paint and I liked it. The spray pattern is better with the Duplicolor cans because it comes out wider.

us_test 
Copper - Posts: 200
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2005 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
placid warrior - the triple glaze is at WalMArt I almost got it.  Excellent product (really thick I spreayed some on some plastics in the store).  Will definetley use it.
(1) Kenwood Excelon Head Unit KDC-X589 (24 bit Burr Brown DAC, 3 X 4 volt RCA).
(1) RF Punch 250A2 - running the components.
(1) Hifonics 6.5" Atlas Components (18db crossovers).
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2005 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
The reason most cars have lots of orange peel kno is because it is not a base/clear system, it is a paint that is called urethane enamel. This paint is sprayed on then it sets up, clear and base all in one. Also by the way sweet job and nice pics, but why is the bottom of the box missing?
v-TECH 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Nodestiny, nice job on the custom subs box.. can you give me some advice on how did you do it? The problem i'm having is spraying on the clear coat.. How many cans of clear coat did you have to use? And how did you make the clear coat spread out so evenly? I tried to put a clear coat on for my custom subs too but it turn out horrible. The clear coat was not distribute evenly and some part were more glossier than others. Could you give me some advice when putting clear coat on? THanks.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic