icon

side post vs dual post battery?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cb_boarder04 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged  
I am installing a system in my 98 jimmy that will be running 1000rms 1900 peak watts (~80/150 amps).  I currently have a side post battery in my jimmy.  Adding my stereo amperage to my cars operating amperage, I will be pulling quite a bit of amperage.  Heres the question: someone told me that pulling all that power through side mount terminals would cause quick buildup on the terminals.  Is that true?  They suggested buying a dual post (side mount and top post) battery, then hook my car up to the side mount terminals and my stereo up to the top posts.  Are they on crack or will pullin that much through the small posts really cause that much buildup or worse power loss? 
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
They're on crack... The side posts will be able to provide just as much current for just as long as a top poster...
However, for convenience sake, replacing the side post battery with a dual post battery will allow MANY more wiring options for you, and you won't have to futz with your cars stock wiring, a plus in my book. (If your battery is still the oiginal (possible, even at 7 years old) it's about time to upgrade or replace it anyway, especially if you are adding an amplifier.) All you need is a set of high quality battery terminals, specific to what you are doing as far as the stereo goes, and you are all set.
I hope you are planning on upgrading your alternator as well... 150A is a LOT of current for a stock alternator to provide, even if you are NOT going to be using that much all the time, an ADDITIONAL 80A is still a bunch to ask of a stocker...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

[QUOTE=haemphyst]They're on crack... The side posts will be able to provide just as much current for just as long as a top poster...

I have to agree, who ever told you that is definatly on crack. But, adding a dual post battery will help with wiring the system. I have a stock Side post battery in my lumina and I draw quite a bit of amperage and I have never once ran into any problems.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
cb_boarder04 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the clarification guys.  The amount of power they are able to supply wasn't so much my concern as to if they would create alot of corrosion.  But I will just keep my side post for now.  Thanks.  side post vs dual post battery? -- posted image.    Gold plated is used for that purpose isn't it, (it doesn't produce as much corrosion)?  Isn't platinum also really good for resisting the tarnishing and corrosion?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic