How effective is high build primer?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chump 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

I'm working on my first fiberglass project and I was wondering how effective high build primer is? I am currently sanding with 80 grit on one of my pieces after applying Rage Gold body filler and I find it fairly smooth.

If I were to shoot some high build primer onto it after sanding with the 80 grit, would it fill in everything and make it smooth, or do I need to go to at least 220 before using the high build primer?

Thanks.

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
I would go atleast down to 400 or 800 if not further.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
chump 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  

I always thought 400 was the limit before applying primer. Will it make the finish come out a lot better if I go all the way to 800? What I mean is will it give it more of a mirror finish once I apply the paint?

By the way, your "Jeeputer" is pretty cool. In the description you wrote a 120MB hard drive, I believe you meant a 120GB hard drive.  How effective is high build primer? -- posted image.

audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
the purpose of the high build primer is for filling....it is concidered a sanding primer like some of the urethene filler primers...most can fill 36 grit scratches....i would go to 80 though, but no higher than 120 or you are defeating the purpose of it and might as well just shoot a sealer. it is meant to save steps, and make things faster. take a look thru this thread i posted a little while ago, it will give a basic idea of the steps, some products and what not
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=57545&KW=paint+
Dyson 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2005 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

with primer surfacers id go to at least 80. Most surfacers id go with 150. just makes finishing the primer easier.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic