icon

need help with sub box in a 92 caddy deville

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ceeniser 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2002 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 92 cadillac sedan deville. Right now I have  2 rockford 12" hx2 in a sealed box. I had to cut an opening in the middle console of the rear seats so the bass can pass from the trunk where I have my box, because there is a metal wall behind my back seats. I am not satisfied with my bass..Can some one give me a better idea on should I use a ported box? And if yes, which way should I face the boxx in the trunk? That is another question- why does everyone face there sub box towards the rear of the car???Mine is facing the rear of the car. I have a rockford 800@4 amp. I am getting a 1500@1 channel amp soon. PLEASE give me a solution. I don't care to build a new box!!!
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2002 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  

I've put a 350 watt subwoofer amp in a '92 deville before and got outstanding bass without doing any hacking on the backseat.  What other components do you have in the system?

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
ceeniser 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 1.2 farad cap for my sub amp (rockford 800@4 channel briged)  I have a jbl 400 watt amp for my 2 6x9's in the back dash and for my 2 door speakers. I also have 2 4 inch speakers in my front dash connected to my radio.

matrix 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
Your in luck, I have built many boxes for your car.  What I would would do if the car came to my shop I would bulid a ported enclosure.  I would allow for 2 to 2.5 cubic feet per woofer and tune it around 36 hertz.  Tuning any lower you would need a subsonic filter.  Porting diameter would be 4 inches and I would place the port on the same face as the drivers.  Port lengh I will post later(dont have diagram with me).  Face the box toward the trunk(port and drivers)  because bass takes time to develope roughly fifteen feet to fully develope.  Now the woofers will be more efficient and need less power for the more bass
matrixman
ceeniser 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

matrix

That's great info on the sub box. I was ready to build a ported box and now i am.  Iam desperate because I am going to build a new box on thursday( thanksgiving day) and I was dying to know why the sub boxes are always pointed toward the rear of the car. You answered my question. Don'tforget to let me know on the length of the port. The rock ford manual says 4 inch diameter and 10 inches in length.

matrix 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  

The lengh depends on the volume of the box and what you want to tune it to.  I will post them after work tomorrow at around 6:30

matrixman
ceeniser 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
hey matrixman, I'll be on the look out .I am looking for some real air moving bass.
matrix 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
Since those woofers have a large throw that is exactly what you will get.  I will give you the exact specs tomorrow for the whole box
matrixman
ceeniser 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
matrix What do you think of a dual reflex bandpass enclosure
matrix 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
Dont try to build without term pro or term pak, or some type of software.  I say this because with out any experience with type of box you may expereince flaws when trying to build it.  These flaws will result in woofer damage which can be costly. 
matrixman
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic