icon

93 Chevy Doorlock Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
Putting an Autopage RS-655 in a 93 Chevy Silverado that was customized back in the day.  The owner said in 1995 he had the RS/alarm installed.  It is an old Avital with about a thousand wires running everywhere.  The problem is the doorlocks.  I found where the previous installer tapped into the doorlock wires (below the drivers speaker) and the relays had been removed.  I located the two doorlock wires that have been cut in half and reconnected them, or twisted them together.  The unlock works fine, but the lock doesn't work.  When you hold the lock button down, the wires get VERY hot.  I am at a loss, already pulled out about 80 ft of wire from the previous hack job.  Anyone had any experience with this locking problem?  Could it be the factory relay stuck?  thanks for the help
davedyer79
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like either Reversal or wire is being grounded
Be sure there  isn't other Relays or connections made at the Door Boot or Kick Panel, or even inside doors
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
davedyer79 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
OK, I will check inside the doors tonight.  I am pretty sure there are no other relays in the vehicle.  Does the factory have any relays driving the doorlock motors.  Could one of these be stuck?  The reason I was asking is because his factory doorlocks haven't worked in a few years due to the alarm.  I found all the wires that were supposed to plug into the relays, but the relays were gone and the wires were taped together.  I was just taking everything back to factory.
davedyer79
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  

Be sure the wires under speaker are correct also

I think there is a solid BLACK wire and a BLACK / Red..............sometimes they get reversed

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
nava94 
Silver - Posts: 296
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
make sure you connected the lock switch wire to the lock motor wire and the unlock switch wire to the unlock motor wire.if everything is conected right check your actuators, and your fuses.
davedyer79 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2005 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
Hey thanks, I found the problem.  The truck has had 6 1/2's installed in the door.  It looks like some blind guy cut it out with a hack saw.  The main loom of wires for the lock and power windows was directly behind the speaker.  The people just used 3 sheet metal screws to secure the speaker to the door.  One of the screws was screwed throught the lock wire.  Everything works fine now!!  Thanks mo12v and nava94 for the help, this site is great.
davedyer79

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic