icon

Getting Sub Deeper?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Vandals909 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 12" idq v2's each has 300 watts to it, their enclosure each is .85 sealed in a downfiring box(this is the medium size recommended by ID). My question is how do I make these things sound deeper? Would adding polyfil help? Also they sound kind of muffled? Please help me out guys!!!!
Vandals909 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
46 views and 0 replies? I'm sure someone on this site can help me out!
nowlater123 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  

Polyfill would help a litle bit in producing lower frequencies, but not enough to notice well in your case( the box is right size).

The reason it sounds muffled might be because the box is sealed. A sealed bow produces a punchy bass more suited for jazz and classical.

Porting the box properly will make the more boomy sounds more suited for rap. The "muffled sound is to taste. It all depends on what kind of music you like.

Hope this helps.

Kenwood all the Way!
bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  
If response is what you want then sealed is the best way to get it.  I don't know the specs for your subs, but putting them in the largest possible box within recommended specs will give you the smoothest response.  Firing position will make a big difference as well.  Instead of downfiring, try them firing towards the back of the car placed right behind the back seat (front of the trunk).  I should also mention that if they are downfiring, you need to reverse the phase of the speakers to avoid damaging them.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  

As has already been said, using a larger sealed enclosure will increase the low end response of the sub.  Adding fill if there isn't any in there already will help as well.  You could also add mass to the center of the cone which will reduce the Fs.  However you will also reduce the efficiency of the sub. 

I'm a little confused though.  You say that the sub sounds "muffled", which is generally a sign of too much low end (boomy sounding).  The problem might be that you are lacking midbass, or are used to a peakier upper bass that this current design doesn't provide. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
bryceyaworsky:
Where did you here that you need to reverse the phase of the subs to avoid damaging subs when they are being downfired. The direction the subs are facing has nothing to do with the phase of the subs.
Jazzy
nowlater123 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  

How would you reverse the phase anyhow?

Kenwood all the Way!
jstruckman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
Reversing the phase means reversing the positive and negative speaker leads. Doing this to a single subwoofer set up will really do nothing. If you have two or more subwoofers and you wire one of the woofers out of phase then they would cancel each other out, basically resulting in very little bass response. With subwoofers wired out of phase, one subwoofer would move out while the other sub moves in.
Jazzy
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
But what does that have to do with downfiring?
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
jstruckman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2005 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
It has nothing to do with downfiring the subs, that is what i said in one of my earlier posts.
Jazzy
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic