icon

1990 Grand AM radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stash3123 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 1990 Grand AM. It is nothing but a commuter car and I still have the stock radio in it. All of a sudden the other day it stopped working, but not completely. It still powers on but I get no radio reception. All that happens is that I get a bunch of static. In addition, the display is completely blank. Nothing. Not even the clock when you turn the radio off. I thought that perhaps the head unit was fried, I mean it is a 15 year old car so I found another one at a salvage yard that worked and popped it in and it does exactly the same thing. I get power, no reception and no display. Anyone have any ideas?????????
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like the fuse for the constant 12V lead of the radio is blown. Check your fuses. 
1990 Grand AM radio -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
stash3123 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
That was the first thing I checked-I wish it was that.
the12volt 
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
Have you tested the constant 12V+ lead (orange) behind the radio?  1990-91 Pontiac Grand Am Stereo Information
stash3123 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
No not yet but assuming it's that could I just use another constant 12V+ (ignition harness, the lighter etc.) and connect it to the back of the radio?
the12volt 
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, but chances are the lighter is out too. As I recall the constant 12V+ lead for the radio is on the same fuse as the lighter and/or dome lights. Have you checked all the fuses, not just the one labeled "radio"? The one labeled "radio" is for the switched 12V+ lead.

stash3123 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
I did not check all the fuses just the one that says radio however the lighter is working. I'll check the rest of the fuses as well.
the12volt 
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
kk
stash3123 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2005 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  
Well it was a fuse. Not the one for the radio but the one that controls the ECM. That's weird but it's working now. Thanks for your all your help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic