Two questions about components

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdog0411 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  

Hey all,

Thinking about upgrading my front channel speakers to components, and I have a couple of questions.

First of all, I have a four channel amp powering my four coaxials currently. If I replace the front coax's with two way components, is each front channel pair still powered from one channel on the amp? In other words, will I need a four channel amp or two two-channel amps for each component pair?

Second, I am looking for recommendations on a good set of components in the $300-400 price range (for the set, both front channels). I listen to all types of music, but clarity and Sound Quality would be my primary needs. Looking for about 100 watts RMS capability or more, and soft dome tweeters are a requirement (don't like the harshness of my current metallic dome tweeters). Factory location is a 5x7 in the doors, going into a 2003 Explorer. I was looking at the Boston Pro series components because I like the sound, but I think they have a metallic dome tweeter.

Thanks in advance.

2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps
Infinity Kappa Perfect 12
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  

Components only need one amplifier channel per side, same as a coax, as long as you use the supplied crossover they will come with.

Boston's are fine speakers.  Buy what you like listening to!

Support the12volt.com
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
Lots of good stuff in that price range, do you plan to buy local or online? Also what can you listen to at local shops? You should be able to get a 6.5" into that factory hole with an adapter, which opens up lots of options.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
jdog0411 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  

Well, I live in the Kansas City area, and there are a couple of shops around, but I'm not sure what they carry. According to Boston's website, the closest dealer to me is in Lawrence, KS which is about an hour drive's away. I'm not sure if any places around me carry the nicer brands for components. I may have to buy online. I'm open to suggestions.

I hear all kinds of names on the forum like Rainbow, Focal, CDT, etc...but have never had the chance to listen to any of those myself.

Thanks Dyohn, I will be using the supplied crossovers, so I should be able to keep my current amp. The amp is an Alpine MRV-F340. I trust that amp will be fine for quality components, or is there something else I should be looking at?

2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps
jdog0411 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

Would these JL Audio components be a good bet?

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=11418

2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic