icon

94 civic door speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jomills2 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  

I just had a new Alpine head unit installed (by Best Buy) in my 94 Civic.  After the install, however, none of the front speakers (one tweeter and one 5.5 in. per door) work at all.  The "technician" said that he tested all of his wiring multiple times and that it was all correct, but I find it odd that all four front speakers just happened to stop working at the same time.

I got a new head unit because after the battery in my car died, the stock radio went into safe mode.  I couldn't put in the code to make it work again because my "6" preset button didn't work, and as luck would have it that was one of the numbers in the code.  As far as I can recall, the speakers worked fine until the new Alpine unit went in.

I haven't gotten a chance to check out the wiring myself, but any suggestions as to what might be the problem would be greatly appreciated.

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
The chances of all 4 front speakers going out at once are about the same as getting quality work at BB. I'm surprised you took and paid for the work. Your new Alpine should have two keys and the unit should be easy to remove. Your RF+ lead is red, RF- is brown, LF+ is blue and LF- is gray. The tweeters are spliced in the door. After you hook these up go ask for your money back. Free installs are  worth the amount you pay for them!
nowlater123 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  

Also check to see if your speakers arent blown. Sometimes a new head unit will fry the stock speakers.

Kenwood all the Way!
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
Your speaks are NOT toast, as stated above....sounds like a MORON installer that was fishing for some more labor
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=1994&make=Honda&model=Civic&ID=17970&type=Stereo

Look here for ALL of the stereo info....the alpine deck can be pulled out with a little pick hook tool.

Check to see what this putz did to your install

burns25 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2005 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
Odd's are that the radio is iso mounted so it probably won't slide out. I have no idea why the speakers aren't working, but my guess is yeah the guy didn't have a clue. Also, a quick note, I do work at BB and you can get quality work done at my store. It's a simple fact of taking some pride in your work which seems to be kinda hard to find nowadays at some of these big boxes. So, please, don't generalize.
burns25 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2005 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
Odd's are that the radio is iso mounted so it probably won't slide out. I have no idea why the speakers aren't working, but my guess is yeah the guy didn't have a clue. Also, a quick note, I do work at BB and you can get quality work done at my store. It's a simple fact of taking some pride in your work which seems to be kinda hard to find nowadays at some of these big boxes. So, please, don't generalize.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2005 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
See what happens when you take a 4 day weekend! Like Kar Tune Man said your speakers are NOT blown. Aside from plugging them into the wall socket the chances of all 4 blowing at once are nil. Plus if there was a blown speaker, the decks protection circuit wold kick in and there would be NO sound. If the deck is a 2005 the pick is no longer used, Alpine switched to side keys similar to Kenwood. I'm so sorry to generalize but if you want to ISO mount a HU in a 1994 civic you would have to take the entire dash off to do it! There is no kit for this car because IT'S A FACTORY DIN. That's why I believe that box stores will eventually get out of car audio, you guys don't know the cars.
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2005 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:
Your speaks are NOT toast, as stated above....sounds like a MORON installer that was fishing for some more labor
  i agree pull the H/U out and i bet you will find that the fronts are not connected and the installer was trying to get you to buy new  speakers
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
ccroadshop99031 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2005 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
burns25 if im not mistaken isnt that car a din pount radio under the ac   if so tcss is correct being as that he has THREE stars under his name

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic