icon

Display units for computer video?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2005 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
i know aobut the lilliput 7 in screen, but i've been hearing horror stories about the glare on it. is there any other suggestions for smaller screens or better? it has to accept a input from computer
or. if you know a unit that'll take computer analog and switch to the AVI cord type, that'd work too.
joesmith136 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  

Check this site out has everything you need to know about this subject http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/

us_test 
Copper - Posts: 200
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  

You mean VGA to RCA video converter, right?

This is a vewry basic, cable in the computer field.  Off the top of my head Steren makes a 3 way VGA to RCA cable model 253-512IV.  You can get this for less than $14.

the mp3car.com website makes me laugh sometimes but good info most of the time (they got a lot of car audio knowledge but not too much PC hardware knowledge).

(1) Kenwood Excelon Head Unit KDC-X589 (24 bit Burr Brown DAC, 3 X 4 volt RCA).
(1) RF Punch 250A2 - running the components.
(1) Hifonics 6.5" Atlas Components (18db crossovers).
joesmith136 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
To use that cable the video card has to be capable of using vga out to an ntsc signal. Most or some cannot do that
us_test 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  

joesmith96 - YEAH RIGHT, 98% of the video cards can do this. 

maglin- get a cheapo vid card with video out.  $20 at www.pricewatch.com can get you ant 8MB car with TV out.

maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
but, and i'm not here to argue, but i heard those video out ports on most video cards put out really crappy TV signals.
i'm trying to keep the entire unit low profile anways, so a board with build in video is prime... now i've seen mother boards with built in video out, but again to my original point. i've seen these things put out excellent signals when you full screen the video in a media player, but aside from that, they were less than impressive.
... i need to do some shopping, but i'm not really sure what i should look for. i HAVE that 8mb vid card right here... and its the one that i was originally speaking of.... for some reason my 64 $ *at the time* GeForce 4 card's vid out refused to work... lol.
... thanks for the input guys.
~~Vinn
us_test 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  

I only speak from experience and can tell you that 99.99999999% vid cards even the $20 put out a nice RCA video signal.  Now it seems like you may have some driver issue with your Nvidia card possible or a defective product.

Again I only have about 6 years of real working (plus several years of working on PCs on my own) experiecne and I'm currentley a Helpdesk Manager so I definetley know what I'm talking about (not upset and not trying to brag just stating the facts)

Get an ATI Radeon 900 64MB with tv out for $35 from pricewatch.com (free shipping).  I think $35 is nice price and this is a nice older card.

Carfreaknyc 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
I agree completely about the MP3car website....not too much on the hardware knowledge. Either that or the newbie responses dilute the real info as everybody over there are looking for something for nothing.
As for the video question...DON'T waste your money on the cheap fix. The display will suffer and you'll regret it. Currently I have my imobile system hooked up to my factory display using a little known Radio Shack part:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5fid=25-3085
They stock a unit called the Ultimate XP Pro. It's a high-quality, extremely-tweakable interface that when couple with the right wiring it converts VGA directly to RGB (for factory navigation or aftermarket displays), Composite video, and S-Video.
It's highly recommended.
The Cars - www.hotimportnights.com
us_test 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

Carfreaknyc - Not sure what you mean by cheap fix.  But I'll say this.  Every regional LAN party I've been to has had 15-20 PCs hooked up to TVs via video out from the video card (most on RCA).  I have 2 PCs one is outputing video from the TV tuner card via the video output on the video card (RCA) (it is an older Radeon 8500 which you can get now for $25).  The other system also has a TV tuner card + a Radeon x800 Platium Edition vid card. which outputs to a 24 inch DELL LCD (12 ms) across DVI (so all digital here).  I cannot tell the difference when playing movies, or working in Windows.  I've had 2 friends look and tell me which one looks better, they could not see any difference, both images were life like and crisp.

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
A composite video screen CAN NOT produce the resolution required for a good picture. You will not be able to read text hardly at all. The lilliput and xenarc are your best options here. Try to mount it where the glare won't effect it. Mine isn't bad at all.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic