Chris - 97 Toyota 4Runner
Alpine CDA-9884
Kicker SX1250.1
Kicker 15" L7
choover567 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  

500 watts each? im getting 1000 each of my audiobahn flame Q subwoofers, dual voice coils... must be wired differently im guessing? here's a pic.

[IMG]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/choover567/DSC01170.jpg[/IMG]

Alpine CDA-9884
Kicker SX1250.1
Kicker 15" L7
choover567 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  

sorry... forgot to click the enable button.

difference between voice coils - Page 2 -- posted image.

Alpine CDA-9884
Kicker SX1250.1
Kicker 15" L7
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 5:58 AM / IP Logged  
choover...if an amplifier makes a total 1000 watts and two subwoofers are connected to it, how much will each one get?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
choover567 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
my amp has one wire powering to one sub, then from that sub, it goes to the other sub powering that one. therefor i am getting 1000 each
Alpine CDA-9884
Kicker SX1250.1
Kicker 15" L7
choover567 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

sorry if that sounded confusing, take a look

difference between voice coils - Page 2 -- posted image.

Alpine CDA-9884
Kicker SX1250.1
Kicker 15" L7
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

choover...you're not getting it...

A picture of wiring will not tell anyone how many watts those subs are getting.  Just think for a second...you're trying to say that an amplifier that will make 1000 watts will just miraculously produce 2000 watts because you have two speakers attached to it.

...it don't work like that.  Sorry for your disappointment.  But hey, you're normally listening to only 100 to 200 watts anyway.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
choover567 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  

its 1000 watts each... i mean... i can tell the difference between 500 and 1000 watts because i had a sub with about 600 watts before this, and these hit very hard. the amp is pushing out 1000 watts, not 2000... the ONE wire goes out from the amp, plugs into the first sub (just like the picture), then goes from that port to the second sub. how would that split 1000 watts into 500, the amp is still pushing out 1000.

Alpine CDA-9884
Kicker SX1250.1
Kicker 15" L7
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  

Choover,

stop digging your hole deeper.  Stevedart is correct.  If your amp is putting out 1000 watts power (regardless whether your subs are wired in series or parallel), and you have two subs of the same ohm configuration, then each sub recieves half the power (500 watts). 

If you don't believe me, buy a watt meter.  (Yes, they do make them.)  Read the wattage at the amp first, then at each sub. 

Or, since power is a function of voltage and resistance (in our case impedence), you can use voltage.  Power = Voltage^2 / Resistance (Impedence).  Read the ac voltage at the amp.  Make sure you're using a high quality meter with true RMS voltage.  If your subs are wired in parallel, you'll notice the voltage is the same at the amp as it is at the woofers.  If they are in series, you'll note you get half the total voltage at each sub.

Now do the math.  Square the voltage reading and divide by the total impedence (1 ohm, 2, whatever) at the amplifier.  This will yield total output of the amp.

Now do this for each woofer individually.  If your subs are paralleled, the voltage will be the same at each sub, but the impedence will change.  If the impedence at the amp is one ohm, then both subs seperately would be two ohms.  Solving for the power at each sub will yield half total power, so add them together and you get 1000 watts.

If your subs are wired in series, then each will see half the total voltage.  Keep in mind, each sub would be half the total impedence.  So if we square half the total voltage, we'd only get one quarter (total voltage squared)- basic algebra.  If we divide this figure by half the total impedence, we automatically get half the total power- the numbers don't lie.  Now if we add these two figures together we get our total figure- 1000 watts.

Any way you look at it- each of your two subs sees half the total power assuming no voice coils are shorted or anything like that.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
choover567 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
hmm, im VERY confused. i was told i was getting 1000 each 5 months ago, but i figured you guys would be right. suprised my subs havent blown, only 500 watts to a 1100 rms speaker. i guess ill be buying another amp for my new 1000 watt subs. thanks for the help
Alpine CDA-9884
Kicker SX1250.1
Kicker 15" L7
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic