icon

Factory Flip down display in a blazer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zezebiah 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2005 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 95 blazer and have been interested in putting in a monitor into my truck. There is obviously no factory monitor in the truck being as it is a 95. But in chevy's overhead console there is a space just in front of the dome light that would fit a 6.4'' monitor really nicely in there... It's meant for cd's or other items and to just flip down partially, well this can easily be modified to flip down all the way, but still has ridgidity in order to stop if from swinging all the way back.
My question is has anyone done an install like this? it seems very feasible to me and I would love to do it. I was just wondering if anyone here has done anything like that.
zezebiah 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2005 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
Just wishful thinking? anyone? I really want to retain the factory console.
hawn13 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2005 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
I had a 96 blazer that I was going to do the same thing to but then I saw audiovox made a custom overhead console that looks exactly like the factory one. this was at least 5 years ago don't know if they still make them but it was pretty slick.may be they still make them they use to be around 100 bucks alittle spendy but saves a bunch of time try checking the audiovox website to see if it is still avaliable
zezebiah 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2005 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
I'll look into that... I Think it would look really trick and cool... Did you end up going with that unit? If it was $100 i would definately go with that if it looked good... From audiovox's website it looks like they might still have it. I'll have to try and get in touch with an audiovox dealer and see what they can do for me.
hawn13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
I ordered the piece but 2 days later I sold the blazer and bought a impala ss. I saw the ss for sale and had to have it. I did do a few when I worked at cc pretty slick install. If you got time I would do the custom one like you said it would look pretty cool only draw back you could use a bigger monitor with the audiovox unit it it matters.
zezebiah 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
You probably dont have the piece anymore huh? I take it it's just the trim piece and you have to buy the flip down monitor right?
hawn13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
yeah I returned it it is just the trim piece so you still have to buy the monitor
rlith 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2005 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
I found some! Just installed it today! Cost 65.00 (7/23/05) Used an audiovox 650 series 6.8 drop down. Very nice. It came out well...The console cost me 60 bux. You simply remove the top section of your old console (just remove all the trim ring screws) cut out the dome light (the video display has one) and insert the pieces into the new ohc...
Factory Flip down display in a blazer -- posted image.
zezebiah 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
Wow that definately looks good, and pretty factory too. That truck looks newer maybe a 2002 perhaps? but either way it gives me a good look at what the unit would look like... I am still keeping my options open and deciding what i wanna do. Thanks though for the pictures, i apreciate it a lot and I would welcome any other ideas
rlith 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2005 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
zezebiah wrote:
Wow that definately looks good, and pretty factory too. That truck looks newer maybe a 2002 perhaps? but either way it gives me a good look at what the unit would look like... I am still keeping my options open and deciding what i wanna do. Thanks though for the pictures, i apreciate it a lot and I would welcome any other ideas
Actually it's a 95 blazer... (still a 2nd gen though) I felt I needed that factory look. The guy I got it from still has 19 of em (graphite (black), Tan, and Gray. I also plan on putting a monitor in the passenger side visor and moving the vanity mirror to the secondary visor. If you want to see more pics of the truck (interior and exterior) go to www.pghconsulting.net/teal    
I haven't updated the stereo pics yet but everything else is the same.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic