Tweeter Position/Midbass, and Power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Wyotech21 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Guys

I have 1998 Sebring Convertible and I currently have a Panasonic deck, Panasonic 3-way front speakers which  are 50 RMS/200 Peak, and JL Audio 50RMS 2-ways in the rear. My amp is an Audiobahn A4004t at 50 a channel. I just purchased Audiobahns AT67 100 Watts Tweeters. Here pretty soon I want to get a mid bass driver and mount it in between the sunviors to try to keep in some of the bass. ("uprfront bass if you will"). So my question is if mounting the tweeters in custom kicks is stupid, or if I should just make custom sail panels, or even in the A-pillar. Which is best? Then for my midrange which wont be able to be bigger than 5 inches, will it help with my upfront bass and how would I wire it to my four channel amp with four speakers and and set of tweeters hooked up already. If you need more info feel free to ask. Thanks in advance.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  

A crossover customized to the specs of the midrange and tweeter will separate the frequencies each one gets and so will keep them at their proper impedance.  That is, they won't be paralled.  The best way to achieve this is to buy a component set which includes a custom crossover.  One component set uses one channel of the amp.

Midbass drivers are stereo drivers and need to be paired.  (Frequencies in the midbass range are directional just as midrange are.)  So you should have left and right.

Try to figure a way to put 6.5 component sets into custom kickpods in that car.  This will give you the midbass you need up front and will take care of midrange and tweeters, too.  Each component set will use just one channel of the amp.  If you can't possibly fit 6.5's in kickpods, then your alternative would be to go to the next smaller mid.  You'll be giving up some of the kick in the music with the smaller size.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Wyotech21 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks a lot Stevdart, your really shined some light on something I didn't know much about. I was just trying to save some money but now I see that my plan was pretty dumb. So I think I'll take your advice and save up some money and just buy some components. However I have already purchased the Audiobahn tweeters, so what would be the best thing to do with them? Also do you know a good set of components price wise. Thanks again
{{If you cant buy it, make it.}}
phatx96xaccord 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
i am looking at a infinity kappa 6.5inch component set,  i have heard some good reviews on them, they will help compliment my kappa 6 by9s.  Actually i might be getting 2 component sets.  i am making new door panels to have a custom set up for them.
would u like your chicken original or extra crispy?
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 09, 2005 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  

Two questions here (I got your PM):  what do you do with Audiobahn tweeters that your're not going to use, and what's a component set to consider price-wise........

I'm not an expert in either field - figuring out what to do with Audiobahn anythings or shopping for components.  But I'll tell you this much:  I value the opinions of several members of this forum including DYohn, and he picked up these CDT components for his wife's car and gave them a 6 of 10 on his rather elite scale....so I'm trying to figure out how I can get this past my wife to pick up a set while she thinks the Pioneer coaxials we're currently using are the ultimate in SQ! 

As for the Audiobahn tweeters, I think they would work real well as pasties.  Know any strippers?  (...this will get deleted so I hope you read fast!...)

Oh yeah, and this:  check with pimpincavy on how he can get those CDT's for $115.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Wyotech21 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2005 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
So, when I get the components (hopefully pimpincavy can get them for me at that price) you would just not use the Audiobahn tweeters at all? Too much highs Im thinking? I figured I would just put them in my sail panels or in the a pillars since I have already purchased them. Thanks again
stevdart 
Posted: July 09, 2005 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
No no.  As tempting as it is to use what you've got on hand, there can sometimes be such a thing as too much of a good thing!
Wyotech21 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2005 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
So today I thinking and measuring and I thought about putting an 8 or 10 inch subwoofer at the bottom of my door. I thought wouldnt that be a good way to keep upfront base. So I would be taking out my front speakers. So would components in kick pods be equivalent to my regualar door speakers? This is what I want it to look like, only in my sebring. Would this be a good setup and could I use my amp which powers my subs to power the front subs too? Just brainstorming before I start. Thanks again
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
Personally i wouldn't go for anything crazyer than a component 3 way system.  I had the alpine type-X 3 way system, I could turn off my sub and it would still hit the bass enough that a sub isn't really manditory.  You could put a 6.5" woofer in your door, and a 5 1/4"woofer and tweeter in your kickpanel with either a custom kick panel or a q'logic one.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
stevdart 
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

As long as you're designing and building this system yourself, stick to the tried-and-true basics:  components in the front, one set per side;  a subwoofer;  a set of rears (full range) if you like.  If the sub is not loud enough to hear well up front, more subs/power is indicated.

Get the system in and tuned to your liking.  With more time and experience you can later experiment with combining midbass drivers up front with the components, but by that time you will know that all frequencies must be crossed over from one driver range to the next...and that you don't want two drivers on the same side of the car playing the same range of frequencies.  You'll know, as well, that you shouldn't try to play the same sub frequencies in both the front and boot of the car.

If you've got money and want a nice SQ system right from the start, look for a good car audio mechanic (like many of the members of this forum) who can take this project on and produce a multi-driver system for you.  But, you'll achieve good SQ and a lot of feeling of accomplishment if you just start out with the basic approach.  The quality will show with your attention to every detail of the install, which includes proper damping and noise control of the car as well as safe and proper wiring.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic