icon

US 2000x Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joebiv318 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  

I have a used US 2000x amp. (2 channel 2 ohm) This came out my car and works perfectly. I’m going to sell it to a customer and power a pair of Poweracustic Mofo subs. I never used these before so I don’t know much about them. The customer says that the subs will be under powered with is amp, I worried that they will be over powered. Any way I want to know if any body has run this amp at 1 ohm. This is an everyday driver that will be getting some abuse I’m sure. The subs are DVC 2 ohm. Also does anyone have an idea about this set up? Thanks.

Owner/ Custom Compact Performance
Treo,Cadence,ARC Audio
Critical Mass/Icon TV
Panasonic,Compustar,Scosche
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
Lets see, how to put this kindly to the customer.. umm hes smoking crack
First off ever US amps Ive owned always did way more the rated power as long as you could provide it with enough juice.
Now since power acoustik has overrated equipment in the past, its not outside the relam of possibility that this is the case for their Mofo series
I would go ahead and hook it all up and run it speakers using this diagram
US 2000x Amp -- posted image.
Make sure the gain is set properly and enjoy
Case solved
--Skold
2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
joebiv318 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
Thats how I would hook it up.  The amp will see a 1ohm load bridged.  Is this going to work?  I don't want this guy coming back with a fried amp next month saying I hooked the amp up wrong.
Treo,Cadence,ARC Audio
Critical Mass/Icon TV
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  

oops didnt catch that the first time, no wire up for an 8ohm load and use the bridged channel on the amp

the 4ohm bridge channel puts out 2000 watts , so 1000 at an 8ohm load would not be that bad
Or sell him dual 4 ohm subs?

--Skold

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
joebiv318 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
Yes each sub would get 500w. not enough for this kid.  He bought these off line, I'm not a dealer.  What I'm looking for is someone who has hooked this amp up at 1 ohm and did it work?
Treo,Cadence,ARC Audio
Critical Mass/Icon TV
modena0 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
it'd probably work, i just dont know for how long... these are rated at certain loads for a reason.. you start pulling double the juice out of that amp and you run the risk of cooking the circuitry inside. i like to compare it to a motor and exhaust system... if you just run straight pipes on a motor made for stock backpressure, it puts too much out too fast and gets substantially warmer, effectively cooking the exhaust valve.. its the same way with the amplifier. if there isnt enough "backpressure" or impedance, then the current is just running through the sub double as fast and the amplifier will put it out double as fast, but that will generate more heat and cook the amp.
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
go to http://www.usacoustics.com and call their tech support number. I actually spoke with the owner of the company when I called with a question and he was a really nice guy. Told me exactly what I needed to know also.
joebiv318 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
Wrong company.  This is a US 2000x.   US AMPS from Florida.  I realize how the impedence on the amp works, but I also know that this is a full comp. amplifier.  So is there anyone who could give a definative answer on whether or not to use this set up?
Treo,Cadence,ARC Audio
Critical Mass/Icon TV
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  

"I don't want this guy coming back with a fried amp next month saying I hooked the amp up wrong."

You said it yourself.  Besides, that *is* a nice amp.  It'd be wrong to kill it driving PowerAcoustik stuff.

I mean.. this guy is.. you know.. paying real money for PowerAcoustik stuff... maybe you tell him its hooked up the way he likes and he drives off happy end of story?

I'd run away from the broken amp.  Far away from that direction.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
This Kid must be an idiot... That is a very powerful amp. I would sell him a smaller and cheaper amp to keep him from coming back. This amp draws a lot of current and still can be damaged if it is underpowered. If you still want to sell him the amp you should let him know that you are not responsible for it burning up from being underpowered. Here are all of the specs for the amp you are talking about. SA 2000 and 2000X are about the same but have different ohm load specs. Please read all info. just to cover your self from being blamed for a system that does not sound good from being under powered.
SA-2000 and USA-2000X
     Two Channel Class AB Amplifier
     Total Power Output: 2000 Watts RMS
     THD at Rated Power: <0.006%
     Stereo Separation: >98dB
     Signal/Noise Ratio: 105dBA
     Frequency Response: 5Hz-50KHz
     Fuse Rating: 300 Amps
     Dimensions: (Including Terminals)
62mm /      2.44in      High      
229mm /      9.0in      Wide      
654mm /      25.75in      Long