icon

Fleece vs. Cotton Sheet?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
Would it be ok to use a cotton/polyester sheet instead of fleece on my fiberglass enclosure?
The reason I'm asking is because I'm having a hard time finding it ask walmart doesn't carry it for some reason, and there are no fabric stores near by.
Thanks for the input
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
This will work no problem.  I actually prefer other materials than fleece, since it only stretches good in one direction.  Sometimes Walmart has a polyester/spandex material in the clearance isle of the fabric section.  Once you strech and resin it, just lay up a good amount of fiberglass as well.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, thanks for the input.
So basically nylon/polyester materials will work fine?
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  

The best stuff I have found is Fusible Fleece....It stretches good in all directions and you can stretch the hell out of it and it wont get too thin....

Its kinda hard to find though...But yeah anything polyester will work fine...Check at fabric stores or upolstry shops...If you have a T-Shirt factory anywhere near you check with them and they can order HUGE rolls of the stuff or just see about getting their scrap material

Fleece vs. Cotton Sheet? -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  

I usually use grill cloth.  I personally don't like fleece as it soaks up way too much resin.  Grill cloth stretches really well and provides a nice surface to fiberglass on.  Plus you can put all that extra resin into the fiberglass mat where it will provide much more strength.

My last project I picked up this material from the budget bin at Wal Mart (they didn't have grill cloth) that seemed like a thick nylon material.  However it was way too stretchy.  I had to pull it REALLY tight to prevent it from sagging, and then it didn't hold the resin very well.  So just be careful with the material you do buy.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
OK, thanks for the input guys.
The fleece/cloth is only used to make the basic shape, right? I mean it just gives you a solid foundation? THe actual strength comes from the fiber matt/mesh, correct?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic