'03 Focus Amp&Speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bowrat 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  

Hi All,

I'm installing a new amp and front door speakers in a '03 Focus ZX5.  A long, long, time ago, I installed 12v for a company call Highland Superstores in Michigan...Anyway, I have two questions:

1.  Unlike the cars that I've done in the past, firewalls on these "new" cars seem pretty tight (no extra grommets, gaping holes to run amp power through, etc.).  I'm running an 8GA line - I searched the forum and someone recommended going through the plate where the clutch would normally be.  Is there any other location anyone can recommend?  If not, this seems to be a good idea - any comments?

2.  What's up with these twist-on modular wire connections in the door?  When did they start using these?  (Can you tell how long it's been since I've installed a stereo?)  Anyway - other than using the factory speaker harness w/adapter for aftermarket 6X8's, how can you run thicker gauge wire into these doors?  The alternative, I guess, would be to use the light-gauge factory wiring?

Should I even worry about the speaker wiring?  Any other comments/ideas are sincerely appreciated.

Thanks.

us_test 
Copper - Posts: 200
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  

A good location for the hole is abe gass pedal or next to the steering colum.  Pull carpet back and you may seen metal indetation to guide for a hole (round shaped).  Check and recheck to make sure you're not drilling your brake lines or something, then drill.  Had to drill in my 98 Camry to run power amp wire and alarm wire.

There isn't a noticeable singal loss when using 20GA factory wire (well I think the factory is 24GA) and going to 16 or 18GA wire so I would not bother rewiring.  I ran wires in my car because I put new components (it is an easy job to run the cables).

(1) Kenwood Excelon Head Unit KDC-X589 (24 bit Burr Brown DAC, 3 X 4 volt RCA).
(1) RF Punch 250A2 - running the components.
(1) Hifonics 6.5" Atlas Components (18db crossovers).

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic