icon

Amp Crossover Settings for Componants

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
Guy at the shop says high pass, instructions from amp says full range, which is correct? Diamond Audio D3400.4 Amp and Hex S600s Componants.
Also can noise be created from RCAs being next to each other? I have checked everything else out including grounds, wiring from the amp to the componants, and switching RCAs around, and noise is coming from the same componant set no matter what configuration I use.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
us_test 
Copper - Posts: 200
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

Amp set to full range.  Let the Hex's crossover do their job and filter the signal.  High pass on the amp will cut off a lot of the low pass frequencies which the HEX midbass driver can reproduce.  Guy at the shop is not to knowledgeable.  Noise from RCAs sitting next to each other is non existant (human year cannot pick it up) otherwise they could not even run the 2 cables for 1 channel on a single RCA cable together.  RCA next to power wires can produce interference (this is not applicable in your case).

How are your gains set?  Does noise come from only one side?

Is the ground bare metal or painted (you need bare metal otherwise a poor ground can cause noise too)?

(1) Kenwood Excelon Head Unit KDC-X589 (24 bit Burr Brown DAC, 3 X 4 volt RCA).
(1) RF Punch 250A2 - running the components.
(1) Hifonics 6.5" Atlas Components (18db crossovers).
TruckSystem 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
I had changed the crossover to full range after getting back home that day, I figured it was correct but wanted to make sure.
Ground is a bare metal via a hole I drilled directly into the chassis under the carpet and sanded to bare metal around. Noise is only from the passanger components, gains are the exact same for both sides, about 1/3 up via what a volt reading told me was correct output. I am getting stumped on the grounding issue, I feel I have checked everything, and just one set making the noise seems odd.
us_test 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

Well it is not the ground.  Try this:

Swap crossovers around, check to make sure wires are are not touching the terminal next to them (like a strand from one wire hitting the connection next to it).  Also I had a Civic once and had Boston Rallies in it and on the right side the conectors on the speaker were touching the metal frame in the door and shorting out creating noise and also not playing at all, so check this also (I had to enlarge the hole with a Dremmel tool).

Flip RCA cables on amp to see if it is and issue with the channel on the amp or maybe the RCA cables.

TruckSystem 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  
I changed the RCAs around and it didn't change anything. I also swapped crossovers and no change either. Checked them over pretty well and didn't notice any wire strands anywhere, I vacuumed out the rear to get all the loose copper strands that were on the floor out and no change either, will check the crossovers over again sometime this week.
I had the door apart last weekend and the wires all looked fine, there are no exposed wiring anywhere, plus the doors have been sprayed with a sound deadener so there isn't much in the way of metal for them to touch anyway.
Any other ideas? Thanks for the effort so far.
modena0 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
check the resistance of your ground to your neg terminal... i thought mine was fine for a year and when i got a DVOM and checked the resistance it was ridicuous. A simple 10 awg groud wire from the chassis beam to the negative terminal dropped the resistance substantially.
SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
Have you tried switching the channels on the amp?  If the sound switches sides it is and internal fault of the amplifier.  On one install, I went through 3 amps until I finally got one that eliminated the noise.  Mass manufacturing of electronics can easily cause faults. Good Luck!
us_test 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
Yes he did (read all posts)
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  
No he didn't.  SoundAudio is referring to the output terminals at the amp (the speaker wires), not the RCA's.  To my knowledge, this has not been done, and needs to be.  If the problem switches sides, the problem lies within the amp.  If not, it lies within the wiring.  Disconnect the speaker leads, and test for continuity to ground.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
TruckSystem 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
The wiring has been switched at the amplifier and the crossovers before, as well as the polarity reversed on the speakers as a test, no change from any of that. The only thing I have not done that has been suggested is check the resistance of the grounds as I have not had a multimeter for the last couple weeks. I will be buying one this Friday.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic