icon

Inverted Sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
matt_attack 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2005 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
i have an orion h2 15" dvc sub. i want to invert it when i make my box for it and my question is does inverting the sub make a difference in the recommended size of the box. are there any special things that need to be done to make it sound right besides reversing the wires instead of + to + and - to - ,do + to - and - to +.
98 Cadillac Deville
Rollin stock 4 now
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 09, 2005 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

As far as air volume in the box:  an inverted sub will displace none of the box's air.  It will actually add some air to the enclosure, in fact.  See my pic here:

Inverted Sub - Last Post -- posted image.

You get the picture?  You can do measurements and find the volume of air that the cone holds, or you can do a little guesswork (I would opt for guesswork here!).

When using only inverted sub(s), the wiring on the sub itself can be done exactly as it is described in the wiring diagram.  Don't reverse anything on the sub itself.  The reversing of polarity can be easily accomplished at the amplifier terminals, where you would simply swtch the left with the right.  This will keep things much simpler.

Other than that, you just have to make sure the driver is fitted with a good seal to the enclosure cutout and that there is no contact between the cone surround and the edges of the cutout.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2005 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
one thing i would suggest so you dont have the surround in contact with the box i would get the plain that has your cut out for your sub before you put your box together and put your sub in on the underside of that and then put the box together that will help you get a good seal also
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 7:11 AM / IP Logged  
Well, you could double-face your box.  You can build the face of your box where the woofer will mount, then build another one that will sit around the outside of the woofer's mounting flange.  This way when you invert the woofers, there's no guess work involved, and they're automatically centered.  Blowntweeters' way would work, but you'd have to rip the box apart to get the woofers out of it.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
Oh yea.. to get the precise volume of your sub all you have to do is dunk it in a bucket of water and measure the displacement! Easy peasy!
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
modena0 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  

to expand on the fact that you need tro make sure the surround isnt touching the enclosure, i would say to cut the hole for the sub in the sized piece you plan on using for your enclosure, and make sure there are no obstructions in that before youput the box together.

Nodestiny 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
I found many advantages in inverting the sub. First of all, more airspace inside the box. With woofers reaching .1 cubic ft on average, and higher... every little bit counts! Secondly, it rids of the need for a grill. Its much harder to damage the rear of a sub than the front of one. Third, it will help keep the driver alive in both short terms of high power or long terms of regular power. This is because the motor gets to draw in cool air from the outside. Inside the box, air temps will rise and only get hotter as the sub is played harder and/or longer. Also, if you are abusive, you can easily smell the VCs heating up when inverted.
There are downsides though. First of all, its more exposed wiring. This means something can become disconnected easier. Secondly, at higher volume usualy, you can hear motor noise in some subs (whether its tensil slap or VC movement). Not all subs do this, though. Finaly, it has a great risk of damage to the motor assembly through means of somebody being a jackass and fooling with the vent hole (such as stuffing something in it or liquid poored in there).
Either way... i run mine inverted for obvious reasons, especialy being a sealed box and running a bit more power than RMS. Only way to truely see if you like either way is run each way for about a week and figure what works best for ya!
04 dodge neon SXT
(2) Oz Audio Matrix Elite 12"s sealed in 4 cube fiberglass enclosure, powered by HiFonics BX1605D
Oz Audio Matrix 180cs 6.5" component set power by HiFonics ZX4000
matt_attack 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 4:30 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks alot for the info guys.
98 Cadillac Deville
Rollin stock 4 now

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic