icon

what cloth should I use to fiberglass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
You mix the resin with the proer amount of hardner(read resin can to see how much hardner to use). Mix that together as good as you can.
Then take your paint brush and dip it in the resin/hardner mixture and apply a light coating on the surface you're working on. Then lay your matt/cloth down ontop of that. Then dip your brush back in the resin/hardner and "stab" it into the matt/cloth until there are no more white spots. If parts of the matt/cloth are still white that means that you need to apply more resin/hardner.
Oh yeah, before you ever even mix the resin/hardner you should cut your fiberglass to length/size.
Lay down one layer and soak it thouroughly. Then you can lay down another layer and soak it thoroughly. As long as you soak the fiber enough you can lay down as many layers as you want before it dries.
Note: The part will get pretty hot(~120 degreesF). DOn't worry that's just the chemical reaction between the resin and hardner.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  

Very well said Poormanq45.  Your the first person that I've seen apply resin to the surface before the mat, which I prefer.  It makes it much easier to soak the mat through, and holds the mat in place.

I do want to add a couple small things that I find helpful.  When using mat, tear it to size instead of cutting.  The frayed edges will mesh together much better, providing a flatter surface.  Also, cut down the bristles of your brush to about 1" long.  This will make it easier to stab out any bubbles.  Remember, the more bubbles in between layers, the weaker the fiberglass is. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
YEp. For brushes I recommend going to your local walmart. They have black ~1.5in brushes for ~$0.25 a piece. They work very well.
Steven: I don't know why more people don't apply the resin first. It holds the mat in place very well.
yngcapone 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
I've seen pictures of people using fiberglass for their trunk molds and everything but it looks like they dont use the fiberglass hairs just the resin. I dont know if they dont say they used it and they do or what but at the end it doesnt look like theres hairs on it. What I want to make is like a custom mold for my tv in my console and maybe later on if I get good a molding for my trunk. Also I was on a guys website and he was using liquid plastic or something to mold stuff together like little plastic things do any of you know what that is or where can I buy it. Thanks.
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
OK, about the "hairs" you say, that's called fiber mat.
It is there, it's just that when you saturate it with resin it all but disappears. It's semi-transparent.
OK, now for you specifically. Can you make the initial mold for your TV mount out of Plywood/MDF or something like that? If so do that. Then put a layer of fiberglass over it, in the manner that I said in an earlier post.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic