icon

1994 infiniti J30 w/bose system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tornelo 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 5:01 AM / IP Logged  
OK, first off I have a 1994 infiniti J30 that came with a bose system. Second I really don't know what I'm talking about so I'm sorry if you don't understand everything that I'm describing. I replaced the bose head unit with an aftermarket clarion unit. I also installed a xm radio(xm roady) with a fm transmitter. The previous owner had a cd changer installed also with an fm transmitter, and the installer tapped into the power and ground wires(there was a red wire and a black wire soldered to two of the factory wires). So I connected the power and ground wires of my fm transmitter and had no problems at all. Everything worked great.
OK, now it's a year later and I want to switch to siruis sattelite radio. So I boought a siruis reciever (one similiar to the xm roady). This reciever came with an antenna and a cigarrette power cord. Now, instead of buying a fm transmitter that is compatible with my siruis radio, I decided to connect the reciver straight to the aux ports in the back of my HU. And for the power, I thought that I would cut off the cigarrette lighter plug in and hard wire it to the wires that my old fm transmitter was wired to.
So I opened up the cigarrete lighter plug in and saw that one wire was soldered to the metal piece that is on the side of the cigarrette adapter and the other wire is soldered to the metal tip of the cigarrette adapter. So I deduced that the wire soldered to the tip was the power wire and the wire soldered to the sides was the ground wire.
Now the stupid part. First I didn't disconnect the battery. Then I went ahead and connected cigarrette adapter that I modified to the power and ground wires that were tapped into buy a previous installer. After I did this nothing worked. My clarion head unit no longer powered up. Only the antenna seemed to get power. It would just go up and down continously. I then disconnected the modified cigarrete adapter and just connected the clarion hu. The same thing happened, no power just the antenna went up and down continously. I then hooked up the oem bose hu. It did not power up as well and the antenna didn't do anything. I them bought a cheap $25 hu from walmart just to make sure where the problem was, the hu or the car. When this was connected the hu did not recieve power however the antenna went up. When I pressed the power button on this head unit to turn it off the antenna went down.
So what did I do do? I checked all the fuses and they were fine. How Much damage did I do? Any suggestions? Thanks for replys and once again sorry if this posted is hard to understand.
modena0 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  

What I would do is go back over the wiring colors and make sure everything is plugged in where it should be. Use the diagrams from this site to do so.

from what i can see, it looks like in the first place you had a continuous power line run to the antenna. basically, the antenna lead is just a 12v + lead that is turned on with the deck. that should be a blue wire with a white stripe. the previous owner may have tied in the XM reciever to remote against better judgement so it would turn on with the deck. Typically constant power for the deck is yellow and switched power(IGN+) is red. connect up all of the wiring as of the diagram and see if that does anything for you.

if that dosnt work, check all of your power lines with a dvom, and figure out which one is continuous, constant, and remote.

You were right about the cig lighter. The center point is positive, that's why the internal fuse in the adapter is connected to the tip. usually you tap a line off of the line that is soldered to the tip if you dont have a continuous power lead. Basically, if you run the sirius receiver off of the cig lighter, it's powering should either be constant or simultaneous with the ignition depending on which fuse the car company tied it into. this should not effect your deck.

So what you should do is check all of your wiring, and if you're going to hook the sirius receiver up to the cig lighter, do that and get rid of the wires soldered to your deck's wiring. this will seperate the reciever's power from the deck's. Now that your harness will be free of extraneous extra wires, make sure your antenna is hooked up to the remote lead and your deck's power leads are hooked up correctly, and you should be all set

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic