icon

Upgrading speakers/2004 F350

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lytingvolt 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2004 F350 CrewCab and wanted to know if I were to keep the stock head unit, would some 3-or 4-way (pioneer or similar) speakers make a noticeable difference in the sound quality and the loudness?  Would I have to add an amp, and if so what kind would you suggest?  Would it be better to add a sub or both?  Not looking to spend a fortune as this is a lease.  Any help would be great!
SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
I replaced the factory speakers in a 2004 F-150 with some Kicker 6x8 and you can notice a slight improvement in clarity, and I don't have worry about any distortion when the radio is turned way up.  Factory headunit, it may not be worth it to purchase an amp to power the speakers.  Adding an amp and sub can make a significant difference since a lot of bass is lost to road noise.  As for brands for speakers, subs, amps etc., not knowing a real price range your best bet is to go and listen to some in your price range and determine which you think sounds best and choose from there. Good Luck!
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
well...if your just looking to upgrade your system to sound better ,yes the upgraded door speakers will work, how ever, i would recomend upgradeing the factory head unit in place for soemthing with a better s\n ratio.  one thing i go by is you can have the best speakers possible but if there getting a poor sound, then your still going to get the poor sound. the sound will only be as good as your head unit will put out (in most cases)  the new head unit and speakers would be the cheapest way to upgrade your system, then listen to it and if you want a little more boom then look into a sub and amp. and since it a lease, any deicent shop can wire the aftermarket head unit with a wire harness so when your lease is up you can put the factory back in and no one would know.
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
king244 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  
i have that exact truck....i am dropping it off next week for the following...
eclipse avn 5495
kicker rs series 5 1/4 for the front doors
back pillar speakers will remain factory
4 kicker 8" subs behind the back seat
kicker KX550.3 amp
hornet alarm/remote start
hands free cell phone kit....
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  

This guy happens to know a little about audio and also owns the same truck. King244, you can easily do oversize 6.5" components in the front doors, do this as it is a major improvement in tonal response. For a tweeter location, the sail panels are a great spot to mount the tweeters at the top so as to clear the dash on the drivers side. You can then also aim the tweeters to crossfire in the vehicle as well. Some hot glue, sandpaper, bondo, texture paint and time is all it takes to make some custom tweeter mounts. The speakers come to life when mounted like this. Make sure that you apply a good amount of sound deadening in the doors as they are one huge metal gong. If you do not want to do the 8" subs, have a look at the Pioneer shallow mount 12's or really nice AVI 10" sls500.

For remote start on this vehicle, there is no wait to start (glow plug) wire available. You will need a timer module in order to set the wait to start if it is a diesel model truck. A by far superior alarm r/s with a built in timer is the Compustar. Consider them at this time to keep the options open.

For the original poster, the number of ways in a speaker will not make it sound any better at all. Go out and listen to speakers and buy the ones that your ears like. Consider as well some sound deadening material as it will make a difference for you as well. I like the Eclipse coax speakers as my first choice. Before I added a amp to this system, I would as correctly pointed out above, replace the factory cd player with something aftermarket.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
king244 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
ok, i did it.....everything i listed earlier except instead of the hornet i got an ungo 2 way alarm/remote start...
everything looks great and sounds even better.....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic