icon

Passive Crossover Question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
khsonic03 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
Hello.  I am having trouble finding an inline high-pass crossover at 8 or 10khz for an 8ohm load.  I went to parts express, and the highest they have is a 5khz at 4ohm.  I was told by a tech at Diamond Audio that the 5khz at 4ohm would crossover at roughly 8khz on an 8ohm load.  Is this true?  Or does anyone know where I can purchase a 10khz x-over at an 8ohm load?  I went to the passive crossover section on this forum, and according to that (unless I'm misreading it), the 5khz at 4ohm would crossover at an even lower point for an 8ohm load (which is not what I want).  I suppose I could make one, but I've never done anything like that, so I don't want to mess up!  Thanks
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
Here you go, you can make your own
https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/crosscalc.asp https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/crosscalc.asp
khsonic03 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I know.  I went to that link earlier, but was hoping I could purchase one somewhere.  Have you done it before?  Is it difficult or more costly than buying some?  I'm always up for trying new things, however I was hoping I could just purchase some because i am so busy with my fiberglass project right now.
khsonic03 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  

Any good links for purchasing some parts for these?  I looked at it again.  It doesn't seem too difficult.  I mean, I do know how to solder, and if it's just a matter of soldering a coil and a capacitor on a board, I think I can do that.  Even though I have never worked with circuit boards.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  

So, what are you trying to do exactly?  Are you trying to swap out the midrange or tweeters from an existing component set?  Are you trying to make your own DIY speakers?  If so, then you must realize that it is much more difficult than coming up with a textbook crossover and hoping that the speaker system will sound good. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

khsonic03 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I currently have Diamond Audio M661's in the front.  I have silk tweets in the mirror pods, and the woofers are down at the bottom of the door.  There is a phase change from the woofer to the tweeter since they are so far apart.  In short, I want to get the aluminum tweets, because I do prefer a brighter sound.  I called Diamond to ask their suggestion, and they mentioned moving the silk tweets down by the woofer (within 4 inches), and putting the new aluminum tweets in the current pod locations (near the side mirrors).  He stated that this would raise the sound stage slightly, and I could use the RAF off the current crossover to power the tweets up high.  It is an attenuated channel -10dB, so the tweets would not be too overbearing.  He mentioned that I would need a 10khz x-over.  So that is where I currently stand (looking for an 8ohm 10khz x-over).  Apparently he has done this before and has been pleased with the outcome.  Worse comes to worse, I will stick with the aluminum tweets closer to the woofer.  But I would still like to give this a shot.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  

Oh, ok.  That's actually not a bad idea.  You will get some lobing issues where the tweeters are playing the same frequencies.  However if you use a really steep slope, that should be minimized.  I'm not sure how well you could hear the lobing issues above 10kHz.  And it's a much better solution than having the tweeters so far apart because that puts the lobing effects in a more critical band of frequencies.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

khsonic03 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  

OK, so my next question.....how do I increase the slope?  I should be using the 12 dB formula for the crossovers, correct?  Or are you thinking I should do an 18dB crossover?

khsonic03 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  
Anyone?  Should I use a higher slope?  The Diamonds have 12 dB x-overs currently, so would it make sense to use the same, or go higher so the rolloff will be quicker?
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
If you're using the same crossover frequency then you can use the same slope.
Sorry for not responding sooner
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic